LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 or no??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 or no??

Hey whats up guys need some opinions im a little undecisive about this. Ive always wanted to build a 383 but it is worth it. Or i was going to go with the loyd elliot stage 2 heads the bigger cam and ported intake manifold and he guarantees 410+ at the wheels. When i bought my z it was said to have been punched out to a 355, wont know until i open up the motor. But how much more power would the 383 have not looking for a crazy motor just a nice street strip motor that would beat a few chargers mustangs and alot of people that run their mouths lol
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If you were to put the same heads/cam on two different CID motors, not much more power would be produced, but the torque will be highly noticeable compared. Of course it's worth doing a stroker if the combination is done properly.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I do not believe LE "guarantees" a HP number, especially not one that high.

Good heads and cam and valvetrain for say $2500 can take a 300rwhp bolton car and put it over 400rwhp some even go over 420rwhp if they make good choices and assemble everything well. The $3000 more it will cost to go to a stroker rotating assembly assembled, balanced and all might gain you another 20-30hp by allowing for a larger cam or larger heads withing the same rpm range.

Everyone has a hardon for displacement but it cost a LOT for that little bit of extra power compared to what you get with a good topend, and with the stroker you still need to good topend.

If you have the coin to do a good topend and the stroker, fine, but if the quest for displacement causes you to cut corners on the topend they you are making the wrong choice.

Frankly the way you are talking you sound pretty ignorant and someone else's 355 is more likely to be a step backward from stock than forward. The stock parts are not cheap and easy to improve on, heavier pistons that are lower than stock compression are very common as is halfassed machining and just general low quality rebuilds.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

What they said.^^^^
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I do not believe LE "guarantees" a HP number, especially not one that high.

Good heads and cam and valvetrain for say $2500 can take a 300rwhp bolton car and put it over 400rwhp some even go over 420rwhp if they make good choices and assemble everything well. The $3000 more it will cost to go to a stroker rotating assembly assembled, balanced and all might gain you another 20-30hp by allowing for a larger cam or larger heads withing the same rpm range.

Everyone has a hardon for displacement but it cost a LOT for that little bit of extra power compared to what you get with a good topend, and with the stroker you still need to good topend.

If you have the coin to do a good topend and the stroker, fine, but if the quest for displacement causes you to cut corners on the topend they you are making the wrong choice.

Frankly the way you are talking you sound pretty ignorant and someone else's 355 is more likely to be a step backward from stock than forward. The stock parts are not cheap and easy to improve on, heavier pistons that are lower than stock compression are very common as is halfassed machining and just general low quality rebuilds.
Frankly ur a dick.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ts just buy my engine and be done with it. Pm me.

Quick Reply: 383 or no??