LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car running hot

hey everyone I am new to the site.

the question I have is, my 97 trans am is running hot. I have replaced the radiator and the thermostat. the water pump seems to be working, but the car acts like its holding a lot of pressure in the system. I have done all the bleeding of the coolant system and it still run hot. earlier today the car ran fine at idle and even as I drove for a short while. then on a start up it started to run hot till I got to the freeway. both fans on the car are wired hot, meaning when the key is turned over but not started the fans are on and never shut off until the car is off.

is their anyone that could possible help me with this.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What temperature exactly is the coolant temp sensor showing? You'll need a scan tool to view that temperature because the gauge on the dash is wired to it's own sensor on the drivers side of the engine, not the water pump.

Also, having the fans on 100% of the time isn't exactly the most efficient means of cooling. It prolongs arrival to operating temperature and after 45 miles per hour they actually restrict flow.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What temp is it running and under what conditions? ie outside temp, AC on, traffic, around town, highway speed etc. What stat do you have?

Quick Reply: car running hot