LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

gathering parts and info for LS1 pcm conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Default gathering parts and info for LS1 pcm conversion.

Aight guys, I think I really would like to do this swap. A couple of pieces that I know I need right off are the OBD2 timing cover and the OBD2 damper hub. The damper hub is Np, I may pick up an sfi approved damper that comes with the hub but I need a timing cover also. If anyone has an extra they'd part with hit me up. I checked Ebay this morn and didn't see anything.

Currently I have a Cloye's hex adjust double roller timing set that I'd like to keep. When this kit from EFI Connection was 1st introduced they offered a billet timing cover that helped position the crank sensor with the reluctor so that double roller sets could still be used. That appears to be obsolete now. How are you guys getting beyond this issue? I'm trying to get back in this game after a three year hiatus, I feel lost now, ugh.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They still have the billet alumiun timing cover that works with double roller timing sets but it's expensive $450. If they don't offer it contact TPIS because they make that timing cover for EFI Connections.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Aight guys, I think I really would like to do this swap. A couple of pieces that I know I need right off are the OBD2 timing cover and the OBD2 damper hub. The damper hub is Np, I may pick up an sfi approved damper that comes with the hub but I need a timing cover also. If anyone has an extra they'd part with hit me up. I checked Ebay this morn and didn't see anything.

Currently I have a Cloye's hex adjust double roller timing set that I'd like to keep. When this kit from EFI Connection was 1st introduced they offered a billet timing cover that helped position the crank sensor with the reluctor so that double roller sets could still be used. That appears to be obsolete now. How are you guys getting beyond this issue? I'm trying to get back in this game after a three year hiatus, I feel lost now, ugh.
You can still order the billet timing cover direct from TPIS. EFI Connections are just going to start making their own cover in house, so they are not buying them from TPIS anymore.

EDIT: beat me to it lol
Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it possible to use the standard OBD 2 cover with a double roller? Also has anyone really had any issues with repinning the stock harness....like wires that are breaking apart and insulation falling off? I can take time to save money but if these harnesses are getting really trashy with age what's the point?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Is it possible to use the standard OBD 2 cover with a double roller? Also has anyone really had any issues with repinning the stock harness....like wires that are breaking apart and insulation falling off? I can take time to save money but if these harnesses are getting really trashy with age what's the point?
I re-pinned mine and then basically re-laid out the harness, it now comes into engine bay through firewall behind engine, no issues.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends on the car.

My harness on my 93 was beat to **** and the wiring was all hard and brittle, plus most of the colors were all faded, so its going in the trash and I am ordering a whole new one. If it is in good shape, you can save a lot by repinning it. It is not a difficult process, just very time consuming.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, my harness is fairly clean and unmolested. The brittle wires are what concern me, it is nearly 20 yrs old now. I'd like to do this mod as affordable as possible, retain my timing chain, use a factory OBD2 cover if possible and repin if I can. I have other things I want to do as well but I only have so much cash to work with.

Quick Reply: gathering parts and info for LS1 pcm conversion.