LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got rid of PCM have questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got rid of PCM have questions

Okay guys i am in the process of finishing up my SBC conversion into my 95 camaro. Now i have some questions about the electrical.

I pulled the entire pcm along with the wiring harness when i pulled the motor because im going with a stand along efi system. But i need to know how i can run the speedometer because it originally ran through the pcm correct?

is there an aftermarket VSS i need to be able to use the factory speedo?

Also is there any other electrical issues i might need to resolve?

Thanks guys
Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Teching In

The stand alone harness I got from PSI has a VSS in it. I don't know if all harness makers put that into their harnesses, but, I'm guessing they do if you're using a GM PCM. You don't say what you are going to use for the ignition? Being your project is an F-body, what aftermarket EFI? There's no room under the cowling to run a distributor or a top mounted TB without chopping the cowling and firewall to shreds.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wildbill040
The stand alone harness I got from PSI has a VSS in it. I don't know if all harness makers put that into their harnesses, but, I'm guessing they do if you're using a GM PCM. You don't say what you are going to use for the ignition? Being your project is an F-body, what aftermarket EFI? There's no room under the cowling to run a distributor or a top mounted TB without chopping the cowling and firewall to shreds.
Small msd distributor fits with no mods. And as Far as I know the answer is no because you need a 5volt reference. I kept my pcm just for vss,but I put mine together 5 years ago so maybe im wrong now....
Old 10-03-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'M running the new FAST EZ EFI 2.0 which has everything built in except the vss.

Also i am using the MSD flattop distributor which should clear without issue. and have a custom intake manifold which should clear even with the throttle body on top.

Anyone got some ideas on how to get the speedometer to work?
can i use an aftermarket speedo like an autometer or something?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay guys im bringing this back up from the dead.

It looks like i'm going to have to put a LT1 ecm back in the car to run the speedo and the air conditioner. But i don't have any of the wiring harness so i need to know if/how I can wire this up. I only need to run those two things

Quick Reply: Got rid of PCM have questions