LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fixed headlights for the Firebirds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fixed headlights for the Firebirds?

I know this is a beaten horse, but I'm in the process of designing a fixed headlight setup for the 93-97 Firebird. It would have dual headlights on each side (60mm halogen projectors/NO HID) very similar to the Corvette Lemans lights for the C5 (http://www.vetteworksintl.com/C5headlights.html)

I don't know if there is still any interest in this from others. I think it could do a kit including the lights and all the electrical connections for less than $500.

The lights would not be flush with the hood but also would not require the bumper to be cut or modified. I'm also guessing I could save at least 20lbs over the stock setup.

I am going to build this for myself but designing it as a kit would take a little more time (cad design for mass production). Just want to know if I'd be totally wasting my time to try and sell this. Obviously the high cost of the kits already out there are a problem for a lot of people, but I also wonder how many of these 'birds are even on the road and how many people want to spend money in this kind of mod for them. Again, I know this has been discussed it never seems to go very far. I'm hoping to change that.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would definitely be cool to have more options than just the $1000+ conversion...I would probably be interested depending how they look once installed. That said, I hardly ever see any 93-97 Firebirds on the road anymore, and when I do, most are beat to hell with broke *** owners

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

That might be the actual reality. If I go to the trouble of putting together a laser cut bracket and the other parts and then nobody wants it then it would be a waste. I think I'll build a prototype first (my car) and then if some other people wanted it I could go the next step to having it laser cut, etc. The truth is there really aren't many 93-97 Firebirds living the good life right now. Even the 1998-2002's are getting more rare all the time these days. When I get something together that you can see (may be a few months from now) I'll post again. Honestly there doesn't seem to be much interest at this point. Might be a one of one kinda project.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it looks good id be interested.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will post pictures when I have something more to share. i took some measurements tonight but without the actual lights I can't confirm the clearance. i do believe the lights will be above the hood (same as the C5 lights) which isn't a look that everyone likes.

The lights could have a clear cover or could be exposed. I'll have to cross that after the lights are mounted.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Breathless performance offers the only fixed headlight conversion for quite a few bucks. I've never seen any output shots but I imagine that while it's better than stock, there are other better performing systems for less $. Based on their design, it looks like cutting the front bumper will be necessary so the light is thrown appropriately. This can be a deal breaker for most. If you are considering going above the bumper and hood surface, like a bubble, it may look odd. I think you may be hard pressed to sell the kits at your target price while turning any kind of profit.

I'm not trying to discourage you as it sounds like an interesting product but certainly do your research and determine if the market is there before you dive in head first. If/when you have a product to sell, be sure to become a sponsor prior to going to market.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics on cars? Or just thoughts to make such kit...

Quick Reply: Fixed headlights for the Firebirds?