LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

charging system trouble need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system trouble need help

Hello i have 94 camaro z28 modified. I have a 238 dur cam with 3200 stall 373 gears long tube headers. I have always had issue with the battry. Seems that the charging system isnt charging. I have change the battery 3 times, alternator 2 times, took it to electrician to see if maybe something stays on when i turn it off but seems fine. We checked cables and they seem in good shape. The next thing is to put a stronger battery but im afraid that will not fix the problem. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Putting a stronger battery in wont fix the problem, it will only mask it .

Take it to a competent shop . They will be able to test everything via a small service tool within 15 minutes .

That car should start with even a battery half it's size. Hell, the battery in my car had been testing "bad" for he past year , it's testing at half the cold cranking amperage and it still starts no problem and holds a charge.

Something is definitly wrong
Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Teching In

I recently had a similar problem. I went through all of the grounds cleaned them with brake cleaner and a wire brush or sand paper. I found that I had a broken ground on the driver's side of the engine block near the coil. I think it might had been a ground to the ignition system. Also from the same area the braided ground had been replaced with on that was about a foot too long. The braided ground strap was also frayed and greased/oiled soaked. I replaced the that strap with a ground cable that had a flat end on both ends. I had my battery tested several times and was told that it was a good battery. After fixing the grounds autozone still said it was good but O'Rileys said it was bad ??? So I replaced the battery. It has been almost 2 weeks now and still starts strong every day. Even after being parked for a few days. I hope you find what is causing your problem.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have underdrive pulley on car?

Looking at cables and connections is a good start but its just that a start. The next step would be removing them and ohm the wires to check for resistance in the wire, maybe a header touched it at some point or age caused corrosion.

Next would be using a multimeter to check the alternator is charging the battery,
Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Do you have underdrive pulley on car?
^^^
If you have an U/D pulley you must put an O/D pulley on the alternator.
Your alternator should be at ~14.5v constant. If it fluctuates then it's going bad.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Teching In

We did check cables they are in good shape. I did change pulleys before but have gone back to originals. Should i go back to the performance ones?

Quick Reply: charging system trouble need help