LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 out of time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 out of time?

Ok, so i was goin down the road, got on it a little bit, check gauges light came on and car shut off. Tried starting it again and it would crank but would not start. I tore down to the timing chain/gears and the chain and gears are not broken. Chain is a bit loose. Could it have jumped timing? Any other suggestions on what the problem could be?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The chain is pretty much always loose, you are the first person I have ever even heard ask this question in more than a decade on multiple LT1 forums. Jumping time is not your problem.

What condition is the distributor in? Since it is a little more hassle and expense people like to ignore it completely and then when that tuneup item fails due to neglect they curse it.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I don't see the logic behind it, for some reason the LT timing chains are loose. My '96 had about 30K miles on it 9-10 years ago, and while removing the front cover to replace the leaking seals, I noticed the chain had what appeared to be a lot of slack. I bought a new Cloyes timing chain/gear set and installed them. They had just as much slack.....
Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't imagine ripping the timing cover off an engine just because it died going down the street. Damn! If you ever wonder if the timing chain jumped simply pull a spark plug and check the compression. They always jump toward retard. If it only pumps about 50 psi, good chance the chain skipped a tooth.

Pretty much never happens with any SBC. Not enough room inside the timing cover. You would wear through the cover first. Seen that a lot over the years.

Single row timing chains feel lose after 20 or 30 though. Perfectly normal.

Older Pontiac & Olds engines would jump if they had enough miles on them. I used to replace my Pontiac & Olds chains at. 100,000 miles. People that didn't change oil would see them jump under 100,000.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm trying to figure out why you randomly tore down the front of the motor?

Also, the Check Gauges ligth came on? Were you overheating?, lose oil pressure? We're gonna need more info here.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually having a similar issue right now. I installed a new delphi opti and electric water pump. Took the car out once on a short run for a few miles and everything was good. Took it out again pulling out running threw 1st, 2nd, and hit third and it just died. The car has no spark and the chain is fine. Trying to figure out what to look at next.

Quick Reply: LT1 out of time?