LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Mufflex 3.5" dual dual vs. SLP Pro Flow

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mufflex 3.5" dual dual vs. SLP Pro Flow

I was hoping for some opinions on exhaust. I'm about to start an off season rebuild and want to do it right. Not that money is no object but I don't want to build it twice. I'm going for approx. 420 rwhp and decent street manners for all round use. Also, expect N2O in the future so I'd like to have a 500-600 rwhp capable system. Currently have Hooker long tubes and custom 3" duals to the bumper w/borla mufflers. Long story short, the system wasn't well thought out and I HATE it. Bad sound, no ground clearance, poor build quality etc...I've had Borla in the past and have a decent opinion of that system but want something better...

My question, for a H/C 355 with quality parts and Pace Setter headers, what is the best exhaust to go with???

Here is my criteria:
Good sound with minimal rasp
I like loud but not obnoxious
Would prefer exit at bumper w/tail pipes on each side
Good ground clearance
Leave no HP on the table because of flow restriction
Stay at or below the Mufflex price for cost

I've seen a couple options but focused on the Mufflex 3.5" dual dual w/spintech muffler and SLP Proflow. Would consider other options too if anyone wants to give them.

Plus, if I can get away with a cheaper exhaust I can spend on other speed parts - I'm trying to stay within budget but you know how that goes....

Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

Spintech could be obnoxious. On my 4" sys even with a hi-flow cat it was just too loud and had to modify my exh to keep quite enough. I really dont know of any "quite" mufflers other than maybe stock. I just want something that is quite while moving out the parking lot. Spintech with 4" sys wont do that. Sounds cool when reved up though - not rasp just ROOOOOOOM.

Try local performance exh shop, see what they offer,
cardo
Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same criteria as you and ended up with this. Custom made 4" system w/ 5" round Magnaflow mufflers. Basically a 4" version of the SLP Proflow system. Loud but not obnoxious. Cost more than a mufflex but it's stainless and also included the Y-pipe so probably about on par with their price. Only catch is you gotta find a good fab shop that'll make it for you.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys...still not decided. Might go with magna flow so I can buy a k member too
Old 12-25-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I would run a 3.5" system like the Mufflex but with a cutout right before the muffler (like how a Borla catback is set up). A 4" system would deliver the flow you want but I'd imagine it would be too loud and rob some torque down low for a H/C 355 when you're not spraying.

Quick Reply: Mufflex 3.5" dual dual vs. SLP Pro Flow