LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EFI connection two piece billet timing cover.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also like design 2 better. My only concern would be the gasket itself. I would hate to tear the gasket, and then have to wait to get another one.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I prefer design one better.

Design 2 is pretty much the same as just removing the whole timing cover anyway, all you would have to do is loosen the oil pan bolts and you might as well pull the whole thing...and like you said, you will have the seal just resting on the hub which may warp it.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
I think I prefer design one better.

Design 2 is pretty much the same as just removing the whole timing cover anyway, all you would have to do is loosen the oil pan bolts and you might as well pull the whole thing
Not quite. Take a second look.

...and like you said, you will have the seal just resting on the hub which may warp it.
I agree with Puck here and I'd rather have design 1 on my engine. It will be frustrating to install the cam sprocket either way.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I am in favor of door #1 (initial CAD pics). My concern is the casket needed to seal it and not having (I don't see it in the illustration) lower fastener hole provision to secure the bottom part like it has on the top.

Since this "outer" cover is outside the oil pan I would think material could be added to the design to incorporate lower bolt/fastener holes to secure cover

apologies if I am missing it, applaud the effort to come up with this
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Default "Good News Everyone!" - H. J. Farnsworth

Good Morning all,

I'm going to address some concerns now.

It seems like as of now more of you are in favor of Design 1, I'm glad to see a little more support for this design as I personally prefer it (because of the Crank seal warping potential with #2)

I will look into the necessity of additional bolts/clamping force on the bottom of the gasket for the removable section. The material thickness and the material being used (6061-T6511 Aluminum) may not flex enough to need additional clamping to seal oil on that edge. But it is also a concern of mine and I will verify that it doesn't leak before we make production runs of this.

As for the Gasket concerns - Mike and I discussed this today and we think we have a solution. All covers will ship with 2 gaskets so you have a spare, and we will sell additional gaskets in minimum quantities of 5. So you have the option of ordering additional gaskets (on top of the 2 that will ship with the cover) if you're going to be taking things apart fairly frequently.

Regards,

~Aaron
Old 07-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Default Feast your eyes on this

Good afternoon to all of you.

I have a really nice update to share with you all.

Two Piece Cover 3D Mock Up

Click the link for a nice little photo album.
(click the photos to make bigger)

Anyone getting excited yet?

As shown in the photos, I have provided what I've deemed(so far) to be plenty of clearance for the camshaft timing sprocket AND the timing chain. I have also added provision for two 10-32 Button Head screws to add distributed clamping force across the bottom of the opening for the removable section. As you can see, I made sure they were in a position that allowed for maximum clearance of the sprocket and timing chain.

In case you didn't notice the last time I posted photos, the gasket will have a nice channel in both cover sections to seat in. This aids in sealing as well as helps you guys keep the gasket located during install. I personally would use a small amount of RTV (thin coating on both sides) to guarantee a seal as well as help hold the gasket in place, but that's just me.

I think this design is a real contender to be a 100% functional product. There may be minor revisions between now and a production run, but that's the nature of R&D.

Looking forward to your feedback.

~Aaron
Old 07-03-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by moddage
Good afternoon to all of you.

I have a really nice update to share with you all.

Two Piece Cover 3D Mock Up

Click the link for a nice little photo album.
(click the photos to make bigger)

Anyone getting excited yet?

As shown in the photos, I have provided what I've deemed(so far) to be plenty of clearance for the camshaft timing sprocket AND the timing chain. I have also added provision for two 10-32 Button Head screws to add distributed clamping force across the bottom of the opening for the removable section. As you can see, I made sure they were in a position that allowed for maximum clearance of the sprocket and timing chain.

In case you didn't notice the last time I posted photos, the gasket will have a nice channel in both cover sections to seat in. This aids in sealing as well as helps you guys keep the gasket located during install. I personally would use a small amount of RTV (thin coating on both sides) to guarantee a seal as well as help hold the gasket in place, but that's just me.

I think this design is a real contender to be a 100% functional product. There may be minor revisions between now and a production run, but that's the nature of R&D.

Looking forward to your feedback.

~Aaron
Looks real good man!

Can't wait to see a physical prototype
Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Default Update

Hey all!

Just wanted to let you all know we began machining the "Base" for the first prototype of this cover today. After the base is completed we will be mocking this up on an LT1 and trying it out, if all goes according to plan we should have some concrete data and photos for you guys next week.

Thanks for your patience and continued support of EFI Connection. We appreciate your business.

-Aaron
Old 07-18-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Here are a few pics.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great news. Looking good, thanks for making this a reality
Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

We are in the ballpark of $1,000 for a 24x LT1 kit with this timing cover. That would include...
  • two piece timing cover
  • 24x crank reluctor
  • double row timing set (with 1x CMP signal)
  • timing cover bolt kit
  • gaskets
  • crank and cam sensors

How does this price look? Is anyone interested at this price? If this price is too high, we will probably just pull the plug on the project.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think anyone that would be doing this kind of project would expect to pay about that much. It really looks great by the way.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think 1,000 is out of the question. It seems close to what I expected. Will the two piece cover be available separately? If so, how much? I only ask because it might be easier for some people to piece there kit together over a month or two. Just a thought...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
We are in the ballpark of $1,000 for a 24x LT1 kit with this timing cover. That would include...
  • two piece timing cover
  • 24x crank reluctor
  • double row timing set (with 1x CMP signal)
  • timing cover bolt kit
  • gaskets
  • crank and cam sensors

How does this price look? Is anyone interested at this price? If this price is too high, we will probably just pull the plug on the project.
Considering the price of the old 24x kit, and how much the billet cover was seperate, I think $1,000 for the new style that also comes with timing set and 2-pc cover is fair.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Will the two piece cover be available separately?
Yes

If so, how much?
Too soon to know.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Default Another Small update.

Hey All,

Just another little update to keep you guys in the loop. We are machining the front side of this cover as I type this.

I can't wait to mock it up and check things out.

Pics will follow after mock up.

Stay Tuned.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Teching In

EFI connection two piece billet timing cover.-dqzyvc1l.jpg

Oh no! There's a hole in my LT1 timing cover!

Last edited by moddage; 07-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls. Tonight's entertainment... Camshaft sprocket removal and installation! Unedited, Raw, Uncut, and unrated!

Don't mind the junk LT1 block we use for mock up and testing. (it's beyond a rebuild, so this is it's life now)

I've already made revisions to our solid model to make this process even easier than it is in the video. The biggest hassle is keeping the timing chain on the crank sprocket during removal and install to give you the room to sneak the chain off the cam sprocket. I've done this a handful of times now, and I can now remove and install this sprocket with the cover in place in about half the time it took me in the video.

Had to tease you guys a little.

Here's a couple photos for fun.

EFI connection two piece billet timing cover.-3utfgvwl.jpg

EFI connection two piece billet timing cover.-ve1e4vdl.jpg

~Aaron
Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Very nice!

I sold my complete last gen 24x setup in anticipation for this . It will be a while now since I am looking at houses with the Fiance, but I will definitely be getting the new kit with this trick cover.

Will work out perfect for me - my goals for the car have changed a bit and I probably won't drive it much at all on the street anymore so I may end up stepping up the cam from the one I have now if it doesn't make what I hope.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

I'm getting very interested in this cover. I'm about to sell off all of my Delteq/Dynatech opti/MSD DIS coilpacks and DIS4 setup to purchase the complete LTx 24x

Quick Reply: EFI connection two piece billet timing cover.