LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Puddle In rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puddle In rear hatch

So as the title states I have found about A 3 inch puddle in my rear hatch of my Camaro so essentially the bottom of my sub box has been chilling in a nice bath.....Anyways I was wondering so I do not break anything if there is an easy way to pop of the plastic covers on the inside of the rear hatch. I see the little yellow push in pins but I just do not trust myself yanking on them. The leak must be originating there as there is white spots on the plastic and there was also a small amount of water under my spare tire. If it is any help to finding this insane leak the black weather stripping around my rear hatch window is falling off on the right rear side.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't help you locate the water leak over the internet, unfortunately. I can only assume it's coming in around your tailgate glass, spoiler attachment points, hatch seal, or tail light attachment points. Maybe the antenna slot. No idea.

I have a Trans Am, not a Camaro, but I'm assuming the interior hatch plastics are arranged similarly. Hope this is what you're requesting:

You need to get yourself a door trim panel clip removal tool:

Panel Clips:
Puddle In rear hatch-q2lp1c7l.jpg

Front sides have little fingers -- don't snap them off:
Puddle In rear hatch-m3k381tl.jpg

That's as far as I've ever gone with it.

If you've not already drained the water with a shop vac, I believe there are a pair of rubber stoppers located at the front of the bottom section of the trunk, underneath the carpet.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Cool, that is exactly what i was looking for tomorrow morning I am gonna get up when the sun comes up and get to work. My next question is does rubber weather strip around the rear hatch glass do much for keeping water out because it is definitely coming off but I read it does not do much. Thank you very much for the insight on those clips though I appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by i<3myz
My next question is does rubber weather strip around the rear hatch glass do much for keeping water out because it is definitely coming off but I read it does not do much.
Someone else will have to answer that one -- I've honestly no idea.

That same piece of weatherstripping was coming off at the front corner on the driver's side of my car. I glued it back in place with 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 PM

i was wondering if anyone knew where i could buy the rear hatch window outer weather stripping? thanks!!

Quick Reply: Puddle In rear hatch