LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running rough/high idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rough/high idle

I am having troubles with my engine. I have a 1986 Camaro with an LT1 swapped in from a 95 Camaro. When I start it cold, it runs a little rough for a few minutes until it warms up. The idle will slowly rise until it is warm and idling at 1500+ rpm. This will not change until I turn off the car and start it again, then it will sometimes idle normal, sometimes not. I have used a scan tool and the IAC counts are very high initially. The PCM isn't trying to lower them to let the idle go down. Every time I restart the car, the IAC counts will go to a different seemingly random level each time. If I use the scan tool to reset the IAC to closed position, it will sometimes go to a normal idle. This problem is just boggling my mind. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you back probed the wires while its hi idle to see whst voltage your getting? H s ve you pukked the iac and checked for carbon build up? Resistance check? Is this an auto or manny?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 AM

I have not checked the voltage yet. I replaced the iac valve also. I have run a scanning program and the pcm is not even trying to lower the iac counts. I can use the program to reset them to 0 and it works, but they go right back up to where they were. Actually, sometimes they will then reset to around 30 and all is well. It seems quite random... What wires should I check voltage for?

Oh, and the car is a manual. T5
Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 AM

There are a bunch of codes that pop up. EGR, EVAP, VSS... I am not sure what to worry about since the engine was swapped in and some things aren't in the car.

Quick Reply: Running rough/high idle