LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 swap, bad optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 swap, bad optispark?

I wasn't sure where to put this so I apologize. I did an lt1 swap into my car and its been problem riddled but I'm slowly figuring stuff out. My problem is is that when I start the car cold, it starts up almost right away and runs decent, but after the car has run for a little while, after I shut it off and restart it, it gets harder and harder to start an the idle gets kinda bad and it will misfire a little. Also it bogs at idle when you try and give it gas. I pulled the plugs and they all indicate its running a little rich. Could this be a sign of a bad optispark? I replaced the icm already so that's theoretically good. One more thing is managed to over fill my oil by about a quart. So when running, the car bellows smoke, and there is oil coming through the exhaust. I drained some and it's a little better but still smoking more than normal, so would it still just be burning out the oil in the exhaust or do you guys think I have bad rings?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 AM

anyone?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Do a leakdown or compression test. A leakdown will tell you more of what's going on in the cylinders. If you overfilled, did you not drain the extra quart out? Don't run your engine like that with an overfull oil pan.
What kind of car is this? Do you have the ability to read engine trouble codes? It could be the O2's are fouled out. Car runs fine when cold, but when it goes into closed loop and depends on O2 readings it starts acting up...
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM

Its an 88 firebird, motor is from a 96 impala. I drained the excess oil out and the car continued to smoke but it got a little bit better but I only ran it for about 15 minutes. The o2 sensors are brand new. And I cant scan it easily because I don't have a scanner and the car doesn't drive

Quick Reply: lt1 swap, bad optispark?