LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is the best way to pressure test head gaskets with water pump off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best way to pressure test head gaskets with water pump off?

I am getting ready to put car back together but before I reinstall supercharger, I want to make sure the head gaskets are ok. What do you think would be the easiest thing to do? I really don't want to risk getting the new Opti wet either.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mhslax6 -

QUOTE: " What is the best way to pressure test head gaskets with water pump off? "

With the heads ON and the studs torqued (you are using studs, right?), and the valve covers OFF and spark plugs OUT, rotate your engine so <pick your favorite cylinder> is at the TDC (on the compression stroke); then using a screw-in adapter, apply compressed air into that cylinder via the threaded spark plug hole. If you hear no air flow, then your cylinder's valves and head gasket are all sealing properly for that cylinder. If you get air flow, then you have an issue. Air flow thru the intake = Intake valve. Air flow out the exhaust manifold = Exhaust valve. Anywhere else = head gasket.

Rotate your crank 90 degrees, then move on to the next cylinder in the firing order.

Have fun!

BTW - This is the very method I used to determine that Cylinder #1 and Cylinder #8 were both leaking - at the same spot on the Felpro Head Gaskets. (I was able to see bubbles at my radiator cap, but you'll just need to listen, as your cooling system is not functional.)

FYI - Some people say that if you use head studs, then you don't need the $80 apiece Mr Gasket MLS Head Gaskets for boosted applications on an LT1 - they say you can get away with a standard Felpro - but my engine disagrees.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by great421
mhslax6 -

QUOTE: " What is the best way to pressure test head gaskets with water pump off? "

With the heads ON and the studs torqued (you are using studs, right?), and the valve covers OFF and spark plugs OUT, rotate your engine so <pick your favorite cylinder> is at the TDC (on the compression stroke); then using a screw-in adapter, apply compressed air into that cylinder via the threaded spark plug hole. If you hear no air flow, then your cylinder's valves and head gasket are all sealing properly for that cylinder. If you get air flow, then you have an issue. Air flow thru the intake = Intake valve. Air flow out the exhaust manifold = Exhaust valve. Anywhere else = head gasket.

Rotate your crank 90 degrees, then move on to the next cylinder in the firing order.

Have fun!

BTW - This is the very method I used to determine that Cylinder #1 and Cylinder #8 were both leaking - at the same spot on the Felpro Head Gaskets. (I was able to see bubbles at my radiator cap, but you'll just need to listen, as your cooling system is not functional.)

FYI - Some people say that if you use head studs, then you don't need the $80 apiece Mr Gasket MLS Head Gaskets for boosted applications on an LT1 - they say you can get away with a standard Felpro - but my engine disagrees.

Good luck!
How well the felpro 1074 holds will depend on several things. Quality of the machine work, studs vs bolts and the cylinder heads and most importantly the tune up.

I run 1074's on my afr headed 383 at 20psi. My motor is 12 years old. And this last year was the first time I pulled it out because of a head gasket issue. When I get it back together hopefully I can get consistent 8.80's out of it.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

How about putting the water pump back, hoses and radiator back on and then fill with water. Can I just use the pressure tester like that?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by mhslax6
How about putting the water pump back, hoses and radiator back on and then fill with water. Can I just use the pressure tester like that?
Not unless you get all of the air out of the system, which is impossible w/out circulating the waterpump without the t-stat.
Has the block been decked and the heads milled true? If so, slap that **** together and forget about it. If they haven't, both surfaces should be checked to see if they are true.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Will it hurt if I pressurize the cooling system with air to 14-15 lbs? If the system is sealed and the head gaskets are good won't it just hold pressure and if there is a bad gasket, the air will leak?

Quick Reply: What is the best way to pressure test head gaskets with water pump off?