LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant turning brown after repeated flushs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant turning brown after repeated flushs

Since the purchase of my lt1 trans am, i have gotten around to some much needed maintainance. The last thing on my list was to drain the coolant, flush the system, and refill with fresh coolant and a new thermostat. That was the plan. When i first drained it was brown. Like dark brown. Like smooth diarhea brown. So i rinsed the whole system and filled it back up and drove it for a few days. Again, dark brown. So i ran some radiator and coolant system cleaner. Ran the cleaner, flushed it and sure enough, brown. After about a week of doing all sorts of things the coolant mixture is still turning up with some brown. Not as much but still brown, after only a few days. I suspect gaskets, but i know this could also be a variaty of problems. Has anybody else ran into this before?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you pull the plugs in the block to drain it (most people don't, because of the difficulty)? If not you never got all the old coolant out.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Drain radiator. Pull the drivers side plug and the knock sensor. Careful the driver side plug is easy to strip out. Flush entire system with water. Fill system and bleed air.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

The heater core is going to collect a lot of crap that is going to be difficult to flush as the inlet and outlet are both on the top, and even if you remove the engine from the car and tear it down it's still going to contain the old coolant and contaminents. Pull the inlet and outlet hoses from the heater core and flush and reverse flush until clean.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar situation flushing the old shitty dex-cool out of my truck... I flushed it over six times before it stopped discoloring my new coolant. I initially did it because my heatercore kept plugging up, it was fine for about 3 months and now its back to plugging up. Cleaning a non maintained cooling system is an absolute bitch. specifically the old pre 2006ish dex-cool.

Quick Reply: Coolant turning brown after repeated flushs