LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Left & right bank upstream o2 sensors reading inactive

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left & right bank upstream o2 sensors reading inactive

Hey guys I need your help here. A little bit about the car, long tube headers, ory pipe, downstream o2 tuned out. Car was performing great but had the passenger side header gasket was leaking causing an exhaust leak. I took the car to race shop they pulled both headers off milled both headers put copper gaskets on and sealed the exhaust ports with copper oppoxy. Locking header bolts installed. No more exhaust leak. Car was running great drove it for about 40 miles and put it away in its storage garage. Last week I go and start the car, and the check engine light comes on. I took the car to advanced auto to pull the code out. Scanners states right and left bank o2 upstream sensors inactive. What could cause both to have no activity? I look for any wires hanging to see maybe a wire got burned but seen nothing to prove that. Engine fuse is not blown. So I'm stuck on this one. Could both o2 sensors just be bad? It just seems odd that they both read no activity.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:09 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by bigz28man
... and sealed the exhaust ports with copper oppoxy.
What exactly is that? Permatex? If so, was it Ultra? If it's not sensor safe your O2's could be gummed up. There is never any good reason to use sealant on exhaust parts, ever. All it will do is blow out over a short period of time if there is the slightest amount of exhaust leaking.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
What exactly is that? Permatex? If so, was it Ultra? If it's not sensor safe your O2's could be gummed up. There is never any good reason to use sealant on exhaust parts, ever. All it will do is blow out over a short period of time if there is the slightest amount of exhaust leaking.
I'd like to have a better answer for you but I don't sorry but I'm really not sure. I'd like to say yes, I can say a reputable race shop ( tune time performance ) did the work, I know that really means nothing in the grand scheme of things but they truly do know what they are doing when it comes to high performance cars. Seeing that an appoxy was used on both sides this could answer the question of how it could both sensors being an issue. Or it's the shitty Bosch o2 sensors I put in thinking I could get away with not putting delco ones in.

Last edited by bigz28man; 06-01-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Launching!

So my problem turned out to be that both o2 sensors were shot. The heating element went in both.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Found out, now the car has a lazy o2 sensor , brand new ac delco o2 sensors were put in. Im on my last nerve with this car.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Launching!

The slip joint in my hooker long tube headers was the route of all my problems. Was able to get a clamp around the joint which solved the exhaust leak, which was causing the o2 sensor in the driver side to run lazy. I hope this thread answers any problems for guys in the future. On a side note this winter the lt1 pcm is coming out and the 24x conversion is going in. Matt at tune time performance here in nj (his corvette was featured in this months super chevy) will then be deleting the upstream o2 sensors. So I'll be running totally off the maf sensor.

Quick Reply: Left & right bank upstream o2 sensors reading inactive