LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thoughts on this dual exhaust idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Thoughts on this dual exhaust idea?

DISCLAIMER: I saw these pics from elsewhere on the web, maybe here, can't remember, either way it's not my pics or idea. /Disclaimer

I bought a 3" x-pipe that happens to be at the same angle as my Hooker y-pipe, and I plan to run the rest of the exhaust as pictured, but with electric cutouts. This allows me to run quiet when needed (night, highway, near cops) but can run open 3" duals with a switch, what do you guys think?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it'll fit, but I'd be skeptical. I know I had a SINGLE 3" intermediate pipe on my Flowmaster catback and it was tight all by itself in the driveshaft tunnel. This setup must run below the floorboards. I'd personally be hesitant to stick $500+ worth of e-cutouts where the could get bashed so easily. Also, e-cutouts are a fair amount wider on the flange than these manuals pictured so the pipes would have to maintain a 2-3" separation to accommodate them.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe with DMH cutouts you could clear the driveshaft but no way on QTPs, their motors are too long and would hit the driveshaft. Your almost better off putting the cutouts before the x pipe and taking both pipes over the axle to twin bullets under the trunk and a 2OTL setup.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They r right! These cars sit low and if you have lowered it any more then for sure those cutouts will come off first little bump. I would not get those pipes dont see how you will benefit,it gose from duel to single,no hp gain there. Go single and just have to buy one cut out.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I already have 1 DMH cutout, so I only need to either get another, or fab a 2nd butterfly for the current motor to control, I'm not worried about that part at the moment, as 2" of clearance between the cutouts is not an issue. Looking at my current Hooker LT -> Hooker 3" Y-pipe -> 3" Mac Catback, it appears that the catback is more under the floor than actually in the tunnel as it is, so I don't foresee losing any more ground clearance being an issue, even with my fairly low autocross setup. I'll try to get a mock-up done this week of my actual setup and try to post my own pics. With my current Fays2 Watts Link I don't think I'm going to have the clearance to run 2 pipes over the axle, and a TA without exhaust tips looks out of place to me, I want to keep my Corsa clones for now.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this dual exhaust idea?