LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wont idle after HG swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Wont idle after HG swap.

So, I changed the head gasket on my 97 formula and now it wont stay idling when it's hot. It will idle for about a minute, then start slowly dieing. If I hold the gas open, it will stay running, but the RPMs will surge. It wasn't doing this before the HG swap. Any ideas?

MAF is clean
No codes
No vacuum leaks that I can find
Plugs and wires are new.
Fuel trims try like hell to lean it out when this starts.

Next up on my to do list is checking EGR function and IAC.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Here is a video of it happening.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked you EGR and IAC yet? It sounds EGR related. Does your scanner show open loop closed loop? Also, does this happen in gear at idle? Or while cruising at 55-65mph level ground?

Your EGR makes the engine think it's smaller than it really is by pumping exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. The exhaust gases take up space and therefore less oxygen will be in the chamber. The computer compensates this by removing fuel. If the EGR isn't letting the exhaust gases in and the engine thinks it is it'll run like this.

I don't remember all the perameters the EGR opens, but I do remember that it will open on cold start up (to warm the engine up faster) and while cruising (improves fuel economy and burns any gases that were otherwise not burned in the first cycle that actually make it back into the intake through the EGR valve). I think (and I could be wrong here) it also opens at normal warm idle to reduce fuel consumption also (it's a steady state low load situation like cruising along the highway at 65mph); it makes sense for the EGR to open at that point.

In any case, you could, if you have a tuner available, turn off the EGR system and see if the problem goes away. If it does it's the EGR, if not look elsewhere. You probably could also just unplug the EGR solenoid and see if that removes the idle problem (you will get an SES light).
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Have you checked you EGR and IAC yet? It sounds EGR related. Does your scanner show open loop closed loop? Also, does this happen in gear at idle? Or while cruising at 55-65mph level ground?

Your EGR makes the engine think it's smaller than it really is by pumping exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. The exhaust gases take up space and therefore less oxygen will be in the chamber. The computer compensates this by removing fuel. If the EGR isn't letting the exhaust gases in and the engine thinks it is it'll run like this.

I don't remember all the perameters the EGR opens, but I do remember that it will open on cold start up (to warm the engine up faster) and while cruising (improves fuel economy and burns any gases that were otherwise not burned in the first cycle that actually make it back into the intake through the EGR valve). I think (and I could be wrong here) it also opens at normal warm idle to reduce fuel consumption also (it's a steady state low load situation like cruising along the highway at 65mph); it makes sense for the EGR to open at that point.

In any case, you could, if you have a tuner available, turn off the EGR system and see if the problem goes away. If it does it's the EGR, if not look elsewhere. You probably could also just unplug the EGR solenoid and see if that removes the idle problem (you will get an SES light).
Popped the vacuum line off the top of the EGR valve and it didn't affect anything. Unless the valve is stuck open, it's not the EGR system. Been waiting on it to cool off enough to remove the IAC and see if it's messed up.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Popping the vacuum line off the EGR valve wont disable it in the ECM. Pulling the plug will though.

If it's not the EGR (I'm think not now though as it doesn't happen during cold start), then look into the ICM. Have it checked while it's hot though or check it more than 4 times in a row with out any failures. Our ICM's do tend to have heat soak failures.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Popped the IAC out, it was dirty so I cleaned it up, new TB gasket. Zero effect. But, I finally got the rat bastard to spit out a code. O2 sensor, bank 1, sensor 1 high voltage. Makes sense because it starts have the issue the second it goes into closed loop.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Hopefully that fixes the issue. Let us know.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The EGR system doesn't do anything until you at part throttle cruising when the engine is warm. It is not meant to operate at idle.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shbox
The EGR system doesn't do anything until you at part throttle cruising when the engine is warm. It is not meant to operate at idle.
Hmmm, oops. Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Well, bank 1 sensor 1 fixed the idle issue and bank 1's fuel trims. Now bank 2 has lost it's mind, causing misfires. Guess my original theory was correct, 02's shat the bed, leaned it out causing detonation, which burned through the head gaskets. Going to get the next one, looks like it's going to be FUN to replace.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Winner winner chicken dinner. Both 02's replaced and it runs great.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal! It's nice when things are fixed farely easily.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Good deal! It's nice when things are fixed farely easily.
Not quite easy, but doable. Had to take a sawsalll and hack the 02 sensor in half so I could get a socket on it. Little mother was practically welded on.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get any coolant on the O2s during dis-assembly? If so that is a killer for them.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Did you get any coolant on the O2s during dis-assembly? If so that is a killer for them.
Nope. I think it was the fact that they had 130K miles on them.

Quick Reply: Wont idle after HG swap.