LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intermediate shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermediate shaft removal

I guess this is what gets me in trouble..... Pulling the steering shaft and my glorious AllDataDiy sub only shows part numbers and labor hours. I have searched several sites and some say hit with hammer from the bottom lightly to compress, some say DON'T hit upward. I have soaked this with pb on both sides, along the center and both bolts are off. How does this come out? It won't budge... Instead of losing my ****, beating the hell out it and breaking it, I figured I'd ask....
Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Also.... Helms servive manuals are on the way via EBay. Should have listened to you guys to start!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use a pry bar at the rack side. Position it between the rack and the joint end and slowly work it apart. Getting it off the column is harder. You may need to hit it down wards until you expose the opening in the shaft then work it off with a large awl. The only real trick if you cant get it to move at all is to use a chisel and tap it into the slit on each end which will help to open up the gap. Its a PITA if its really rusty, just be ready to fight and don't go into it with the mind set of getting it done quickly.

Quick Reply: Intermediate shaft removal