LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is a good static compression ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

He just needs to be added to the pink army is all. Then he will be mellow yellow.

And its nawwwws guys.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
OK thanks, What about on pump gas, Is 12.5 ish:1 still a good figure, Or can it be pushed higher without detination?
You should just go with the CR you would if you were just going N/A. The reason I say that is the real problem when getting into larger shots is the PTW clearance and ring gap. The nitrous adds a LOT of heat and WILL make the piston and rings expand further. I tend to look at the use of the setup for determining the factors and solutions to nitrous related problems. Talking with your machinist about adding a .002 or more to the PTW is really your only concern with spraying over 300 shot(don't forget ring gap). But for street car use I would limit my shot amount to add longevity to the bores. Personally I don't like tearing down my motor every year or few years for that matter.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Banned

One troll after another. Aw come on the real maniac finally shows up quoting me and any crony he can relate to. About a great profile: location - VA. Wow now thats some fancy credentials. Duh, he even labels himself a troll. Thats gotta be a great source of accurate information. Like any of them have any more credibility than me? Probably 3 of the trolls here are the same lunatic posting under different names. U can read in their posts they have nothing to help the OP with but rather obsessed with personal attacks against me.

Just beware, u get what u pay for here and a lot more sometimes.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Am I troll???
Old 09-06-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Am I troll???
The kind that eats children when they try to cross the bridge. lol
Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I troll???
Maybe he was talking about himself in the third person?? Not sure. Too vague.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
So what are u basing your 11.5 to 12.0 comp ratio on? U have any real data to support it?
Plenty of data, gathered from participating in multiple LT1 builds and observing scores more over the years dating back to the summer of 2000, when I first joined the CZ28 board. Like I said, just take a look around at some of the more successful LT builds, many of the guys who executed them will be happy to share their specs. If you've half a brain, you'll find out very quickly that they don't reflect any of the stuff you've posted.

What size NOx shot? Oh, oh, thats right any size shot unhuh. Are they all the same to u?? Admit it u dont know! What are the sources of your information. Joe, Smoe and someone on the sidewalk? What are the "other factors" in choosing a c.r. - thats what the OP wants.
Sorry I wasn't specific enough. The OP stated that his car will see street duty, so it's generally pretty safe to assume a "healthy shot" will be somewhere in the range of a 200-250 shot. Yes, you can run bigger than that on a street car, but it will shorten overhaul intervals to some degree and you will almost certainly be running race gas whenever you crack the bottle. Like anything else, you have to know your mission and your budget. As has been stated, the size of the shot has little to do with the SCR when compared to other far more important factors like ring gap, PTW, material of piston, etc. When putting a LT motor together that will see a "healthy shot" of N2o, I will target the SCR that I feel is best suited to N/A performance.

So lets hear it. Ya, nitrous vendors cant touch that kind of help. In your nearly empty profile i see a student. I can imagine how much time and $$$ a student has to spend proving NOx compression ratios. Plenty of time to troll the forums though. Get a real life.
You are unbelievably dense. I was a senior in college when I joined this board, more than a decade ago. That's no longer the case. My car has been through several iterations since 2001. I've helped friends put together at least 6 builds, 2 of them involving N2o, one forced induction and another that was both forced induction and N2o. All were successful builds. Some here including SS RRR might recognize my old username "Z97LT1" from CZ28 dating way back. Do you have any experience with LT motors beyond installing headers and a catback?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Banned

"Participating in multiple LT1 builds and observing score more" sounds like a forum troll wannabe bragging 'bout engines he posted in others threads on but never touched. The same kinda self proclaimed genius that makes up his own steam vent science because he has to justify his stupid mistakes. Thinks he can build a better fifth gen Z28 for half the price while he cant even fix his own tune. Yes a genius in your own mind(s).

"Sorry I wasn't specific enough." like u are displaying manners along with your personal attacks? U have no data, no recorded results, no legitimate information sources - but u can accuse someone of being "dense". Just your own fabrications again and again. See a psychologist. Anyone reading your blabber still has nothing factual to use for NOx builds.

Do i have any experience fabricating technical advice and smearing legitimate professional sources?? No. But i can read that while u try to do it u are terrible at that too.

It didnt take me 10 years to update my profile. U would have to be dense and lazy to do that and expect credibility. Your a genius in your mind(s) only. Your profile has no friends - none in over 10 years. Get help. Your as flaky as they get.

Last edited by cardo0; 09-07-2014 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Banned

Am I troll???

Well hey, is someone feeling guilty now???
Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

The same kinda self proclaimed genius that makes up his own steam vent science because he has to justify his stupid mistakes. Thinks he can build a better fifth gen Z28 for half the price while he cant even fix his own tune. Yes a genius in your own mind(s).
Wow, o.k. And you're the one calling people trolls. Mirror, meet Cardo0.

You sir have just enough knowledge to have no idea that you don't know what you're talking about. You can't even figure out the physics of fluid dynamics. There's a reason the law suit surrounding the whole tiny vent steam line never came to fruition. It wasn't needed. Have you even bothered to check your stock steam line to make sure only steam goes through it? I'm waiting.

This is coming from the guy that thought the steam line was vented to the overflow reservoir.

That really hit you hard didn't it? You're that guy in the hangar I make get me tools from the tool room and open and tag panels, but you've been there for over a decade and is "certificated".

Tune? Where exactly did you get I couldn't do my own tune? Last I checked I did everything in my tune minus the dyno required WOT (which I had to walk the Dyno tuner through due to the PCM limitations, but I'm sure you are aware of those; no emulating sucks and tuning on Tuner Pro RT with over 100% VE is tricky). But, you must have a dyno in your back yard. My bad. Can you even read a datalog? You seem to be quite absent from those threads. Yet, you criticize my willingness to do my own and learn in the process. BTW, 414rwhp with the Mustang Dyno reading 300-400 rpms LOWER than actual and SAE corrected. How's your tune coming?

You can't even comprehend basic comments I've made (on another forum of all places; troll much?). I said "I could build ANY F-body to beat the new Z/28 for less than it would cost to buy one." Just because you can't doesn't mean I cannot. Notice I said F-Body? Last I checked the 5th Gen is a Zeta. Ohh there's that ignorance again.

Cardo0, there's a reason everyone busts your ***** in every thread you seem to pop up in; and even some you don't. It's because you're the ignorant, yet surprisingly opinionated, troll.....

Last edited by hrcslam; 09-07-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Am I troll???

Well hey, is someone feeling guilty now???
Not really, I troll the **** out of tech, its a cesspool of silliness.

But, I also have a 3600lb sled that goes 140mph, what you got son?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

You also have a pink screen name so there's always that.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Back to the topic, 26cc dished pistons will make it hard for you to get 11-12:1 with 0.03-0.04 quench and a normal cc chamber. That's a good piston for a FI motor, I'd pass for nitrous or NA, and target 11.5-12:1 and 0.035 quench.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Participating in multiple LT1 builds and observing score more" sounds like a forum troll wannabe bragging 'bout engines he posted in others threads on but never touched. The same kinda self proclaimed genius that makes up his own steam vent science because he has to justify his stupid mistakes. Thinks he can build a better fifth gen Z28 for half the price while he cant even fix his own tune. Yes a genius in your own mind(s).

"Sorry I wasn't specific enough." like u are displaying manners along with your personal attacks? U have no data, no recorded results, no legitimate information sources - but u can accuse someone of being "dense". Just your own fabrications again and again. See a psychologist. Anyone reading your blabber still has nothing factual to use for NOx builds.

Do i have any experience fabricating technical advice and smearing legitimate professional sources?? No. But i can read that while u try to do it u are terrible at that too.

It didnt take me 10 years to update my profile. U would have to be dense and lazy to do that and expect credibility. Your a genius in your mind(s) only. Your profile has no friends - none in over 10 years. Get help. Your as flaky as they get.
Never claimed to be a genius. One does not have to be one to execute a successful LTx N2o build. All you have to be is not stupid. The data and the formulas/recipes for doing so are all known quantities at this point.
I don't have to prove anything to you. I already told you to look around at some of the more successful LTx N2o builds on here and anywhere else you want and see what proof they have to offer. That will get you much further than insisting that extremely vague advice intended for absolute neophytes on some nitrous company's website is gospel.

How about going and checking out some of the extant and well known details on taner's car? It sees plenty of street duty, makes nice power N/A and runs what any person I know would call a "healthy" shot. You want to take a guess or make a bet on what range his SCR might fall in?

Oh, and I'm so sorry for not updating my profile page. I'm not in the habit of typing up a fancy profile page in some sort of attempt to enhance my credibility.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Back to the topic, 26cc dished pistons will make it hard for you to get 11-12:1 with 0.03-0.04 quench and a normal cc chamber. That's a good piston for a FI motor, I'd pass for nitrous or NA, and target 11.5-12:1 and 0.035 quench.
YEah, I've already passed on the dished pistions and going with a flat top.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
X2 on all points.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Banned

Why do i always feel like its a job interview just to post here??? I got a 250K mi junker Z28 that runs in 15's but is driven daily. How much of my time and $$$ went into trying to pass CA smog i try and forget. Cut up my beautiful $700 mufflex 4" exh trying to get my backpress up enough for good egr operation. How many good parts could have gone in my car instead of CA smog testing? Well at least alot more than i have now. But if u want to compare cars then do u still run cats on yours? I doubt it. Pass CA smog - not a chance. How much is your car worth?? Maybe more than mine but
not much more. So what u got to show for all your time and effort? How come u have to keep reminding me how fast your car is? Maybe my lack of concern should tell u something.

So now I got little hypocrites following me thread to thread telling me i need to listen to their hearsay advice and that the legitimate NOx vendors dont know as much as they do - what truck load of hypocrisy crap. They post poop load after poop load of worthless info. They even drift off blabbering about hangers and toolies there. Well hey i can imagine how the FAA would react to his self fabricated science when he trashes a plane (or more) because he cant follow the book. I can also imagine what gets into his coffee cup for sweetener treating a co-worker like that. Same guy that gets his bees busted all the time tells me why the trolls attack me. Well hes so ignorant he dont even realize that they do it to him too - or wont admit it.
The truth is the regular trolls here are so butt hurt by the truth they have to follow me thread to thread in respite. That and there's next to no moderators here monitoring them.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Because it is a interview in a way. Just cause you can copy and paste from various vendor websites does not mean you have a shred of experience in what you are pushing as the truth. So people actually having done the things that you try to talk about like you have will call you out on it time and time again. You made a car pass Cali inspection? Congrats, I would say that is tough, but in the scheme of things, this is a modified car forum and no one really cares. My car makes over 700whp and is daily driven, and with a valid inspection sticker. I am not going to comment on how much my car is worth compared to yours cause its all what the car is worth personally to you that matters.

Speaking of the FAA though, funny thing I have close to four things approved by the FAA for flight. I can assure you they are not as serious as you think they are.

Regardless of all this, people will always call you out cause as you just stated you have experience in EGR and stock emissions stuff. Giving advice on N20 and what not is a little out of your experience and by that nature you really should not be arguing with people who have done things only fueled with what you have read somewhere.

Anywho, this will all go over you so meh.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why do i always feel like its a job interview just to post here??? I got a 250K mi junker Z28 that runs in 15's but is driven daily. How much of my time and $$$ went into trying to pass CA smog i try and forget. Cut up my beautiful $700 mufflex 4" exh trying to get my backpress up enough for good egr operation. How many good parts could have gone in my car instead of CA smog testing? Well at least alot more than i have now. But if u want to compare cars then do u still run cats on yours? I doubt it. Pass CA smog - not a chance. How much is your car worth?? Maybe more than mine but
not much more. So what u got to show for all your time and effort? How come u have to keep reminding me how fast your car is? Maybe my lack of concern should tell u something.

So now I got little hypocrites following me thread to thread telling me i need to listen to their hearsay advice and that the legitimate NOx vendors dont know as much as they do - what truck load of hypocrisy crap. They post poop load after poop load of worthless info. They even drift off blabbering about hangers and toolies there. Well hey i can imagine how the FAA would react to his self fabricated science when he trashes a plane (or more) because he cant follow the book. I can also imagine what gets into his coffee cup for sweetener treating a co-worker like that. Same guy that gets his bees busted all the time tells me why the trolls attack me. Well hes so ignorant he dont even realize that they do it to him too - or wont admit it.
The truth is the regular trolls here are so butt hurt by the truth they have to follow me thread to thread in respite. That and there's next to no moderators here monitoring them.
Wait hold up a minute! Did you just state that your car is modified to run 15's AND pass cali smog. Holy crap batman you know WTF you are doing... my bad OP you should listen to this guy instead.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
Wait hold up a minute! Did you just state that your car is modified to run 15's AND pass cali smog. Holy crap batman you know WTF you are doing... my bad OP you should listen to this guy instead.
Yup, that 4" exhaust is certainly making an impact......

Quick Reply: What is a good static compression ratio?