LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Drivers side lean after LE2 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivers side lean after LE2 install

Hello all.

I recently installed an LE2 head and cam package from Lloyd Elliott with a 229/237 0.580/0.565 110lsa cam. After getting everything back together and installing the mail order tune from PCM of NC. I didn't feel that it was putting out the power that it should. My friends stock C5 pulls on after I jump him off the line (thanks to my Mickey's). The car doesn't feel very much if any faster than it was before the LE2 package, so I'm hoping somebody can help me troubleshoot the problem.

The supporting mods include:
Ford 36# blue top injectors
58mm throttle body
Pacesetter midlength headers
SLP loudmouth exhaust
Cat deleted
3.73 gears in automatic transmission
3200 stall
K&N cold air
Intake ported by Lloyd
air/egr/ac delete
160° thermostat
6AL MSD ignition

After sending PCM of NC the following data-log, we decided to take the injectors out verify that they were 36# injectors, flow test them, and clean them. Everything checked out ok.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r...it?usp=sharing

Since the injectors checked out, PCM of NC sent me a new tune that called for more fuel. The following data-log was the result.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r...it?usp=sharing

The second tune made the car feel less responsive. Almost like it was drowning for a second when quickly stepping on the gas. WOT doesn't seem to have much more power if any either.

PCM of NC suggested that it's either a problem with the injectors or the ignition system. I have since moved the injectors from the drivers side to the passengers side and visa versa. The problem did not follow. I also swapped the O2 sensors around and the problem didn't follow. I pulled 3 of 4 spark plugs on the drivers side (4th one is a pain to get to) and they all looked fine to me. The opti is factory with 105k miles on it. I replaced the cap and rotor on it during the head and cam install.

Also, not sure if it's relevant, but my friend with the C5 says that he can see flames come out my tailpipes when the car shifts.

Can anybody help me out with troubleshooting the problem. I don't want to start dumping money into ignition/injection parts to find out that neither is my problem.

I hope that someday I get to feel the real power of the LE2 package!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

I'd go back and retrace the wires and make 100% certain they are not crossed when you were changing the cap and rotor...very easy to do, and it will run... poorly. Or your opti could be on it's way out..
Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a 93, and you haven't had the ECM checked/replaced it may be time. I found out after talking with Ion he informed me that they have a tendency to fall apart inside. I have goofy drivability issues which I thought were the opti, and it turned out to be the ECM itself.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

^ Just noticed the MSD box, that's of very little if any value to a LT1. I'd take it off just to eliminate it as a potential source of ignition issues.

Quick Reply: Drivers side lean after LE2 install