LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tranny or Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny or Clutch

My car lately is making circular grinding and ratteling noises that seems like its coming from the clutch, could be tranny. After a few minutes of driving whether my foots down on the clutch or not and wether its in a gear or in nuetral it will make noises as stated above. My best guess is the clutch is not engaging or dis engaging all the way. I'm no expert at all just my best guess. Just wanted to say again that first few minutes of driving shifts good no noises and then after 5 minutes it starts, comes and goes very inconsistant. The tranny oil is brand new and full. Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-28-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda sounds like the throw out bearing is going out but until you pull it apart it's hard to tell.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm used to hearing some kind of rattling coming from the fork/throwout bearing. I did take the factory carpet out years ago though. Even when everything clutch related was new, still have the sound when in neutral and foot off the pedal.

In your case though you say the sound is there all the time, in my case the sound goes away if the clutch pedal is depressed.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the advice. Its off and on the sound. Its there whether I'm on the clutch or not or wether I'm in gear or neutral. Thought it was tranny at first and took it out of gear and stayed off clutch but it would still rattle and make a circular grinding and ratteling noises. Supposedly it has a new clutch installed by the previous owner hadn't had an issue with it in the few hundred miles I've driven it all of the sudden this happens.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

it could be TO or pilot bearing so you won't know until you pull the tranny. If you want to see if the clutch is disengaging all the way, jack up rear end, start car, put in gear and hold clutch all the way oin...do tires move?...if yes you have a dragging clutch likely cause is weak hydraulics

CamarOkid...the noise in neutral (marbles in a can) with clutch out but goes away when you push in the clutch...normal

Quick Reply: Tranny or Clutch