LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'95 Caprice 9C1, LT1, new opti, water pump & MAF still won't run

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Caprice 9C1, LT1, new opti, water pump & MAF still won't run

I'm way down in Mexico so don't have access to much for scanners. It starts, runs, but bogs down and stalls out when I try to accelerate. I really thought replacing the MAF and optispark would do it, and since the water pump was 8 years old, I thought it was a good idea to replace it too. Could a bad ignition module cause this?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9C1er
I'm way down in Mexico so don't have access to much for scanners. It starts, runs, but bogs down and stalls out when I try to accelerate. I really thought replacing the MAF and optispark would do it, and since the water pump was 8 years old, I thought it was a good idea to replace it too. Could a bad ignition module cause this?
Have you looked at the plugs? Could be bad plugs. However, I bought a Z28 with an LT1 that had these symptoms and changed the ignition switch (30$ part) and it stopped that problem. But mine had got to where after a while it wouldn't even fire up.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

9c1

you can keep throwing parts at it until it runs...but I would check fuel pressure first with a gauge that has a hose on it so you can tape the gauge to windshield. Do a WOT run to see if FP holds or drops. If drops your fuel pump or wiring to it is bad. If FP is low just idling...likely fuel pump is bad. maybe change fuel filter first

Mexico will have its challenges and fuel quality can be bad. I used to travel there frequently deep into western Baja in 4x4's and local fuel proved to be bad several times.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jucas97
Have you looked at the plugs? Could be bad plugs. However, I bought a Z28 with an LT1 that had these symptoms and changed the ignition switch (30$ part) and it stopped that problem. But mine had got to where after a while it wouldn't even fire up.
They did pull one of the plugs and said it was really dirty and recommended I change plugs and wires, so I guess that helps, thanks. First thing I did was replace the fuel filter.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Any recommendations on plugs?

Quick Reply: '95 Caprice 9C1, LT1, new opti, water pump & MAF still won't run