LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

most rwhp a boosted built 355 lt1 can make safely?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default most rwhp a boosted built 355 lt1 can make safely?

Hey guys. I know a little about these motors all ready, but more with the LS stuff. I know of some fully well built LT cars making 1000 rwhp. I have a car I am looking at that has already made over 1000 rwhp on E85. Car has 4bolt main and everything possible In my opinion to make 1200 rwhp with the 88mm turbo currently on it with straight meth to be safe. Your feedback is appreciated. I may be trading Fear with money my way, since im looking to change things up and get something I cam drive on steet from time to time
Old 01-04-2015, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Going to depend on the block prep. Was it filled atall? How much are you going to run it, 15 passes a year or 100?

The LT1 block is probably going to wiggle a bit at that power level, even NA cars making half that power eventually see bore shadowing and even cracked deck.

I wouldn't expect 1000rwhp LT1 to be something you can run every weekend all summer for years on end, I think you will find the block to be a wear item.
I think there is one highend car owner who will disagree but I have seen more guys at a lower level who run a lot end up with issues.
It is after all just a production block and 1000rwhp is over 3 times more than it ever came from the factory with. And the basic architecture is out of the 50s.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the info. Thank you sir
Old 01-04-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Which car are you considering? Only a handful of 1000+rwhp LT cars in the country that I know of.

Certainly not a daily driver setup. Such power can be had with decent driveability and street manners but as mentioned, almost everything becomes a wear item at that point. If you run it hard, expect a maintenance schedule that entails tearing into it fairly often.

Jim Moran at Speed Inc. (INTMD8 on here) had a 355ci twin turbo setup a few years back that made mid 800s IIRC and was very street friendly. He was known to drive the car everywhere, even on 1000+ mile road trips. However, he had the resources of a full-blown race shop behind him and the amount of time that car actually spent in high-boost "kill" mode is likely a small minority of it's run-time.

Another thing is the fact that 1000+rwhp is not really easy or practical to use at high load-settings on the street because it's simply too much. There are very, very few cars I know of that can effectively plant 1000+rwhp on unprepared street surfaces at anything resembling normal or legal vehicle speeds. This means that aside from dyno or track time, the engine will spend only an occasional handful of seconds at high load settings when it makes that much power on the street.
Most turbo cars I know of that make this much power spend most of their street time dialed back to 700 or less on pump fuel and lower boost settings. And even at that reduced power level, heavy maintenance can be a regular chore.

Seeing as you have a very powerful car now, you already have a good idea what it takes to make and maintain this sort of setup. How well the car is put together and sorted usually makes more of a difference than the actual platform. If it seems like a well-executed and maintained build, it's probably ok. I am of the opinion though, that as a general rule, most cars making this sort of power are going to be the ones that only see a couple thousand street miles a year, at the most.

Quick Reply: most rwhp a boosted built 355 lt1 can make safely?