LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help?

Will the stock lt4 water pump work properly if I have a custom grind cam..my car electric water pump took a dump an I can't afford it at the moment...stock pump is cheaper just curious if it will properly cool the motor
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock pump moves more water at any time the engine is actually making real heat. The electrics only move more water at idle when the engine isn't making much heat anyway.
Real.concern is do you still have the drive in place and the driveshaft?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:58 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech! And congrats on the new car!

As it had an electric drive, the drive from the engine through the top of the timing cover wasn't used and should have been blocked off somehow and the drive gear would've been removed.

You'd need to remove the timing cover to undo this, so it's easier to repair the electric motor drive.

Can you post a pic of the pump & motor it has now?

For what it's worth, when I had a LT1 car I never had cooling problems with an electric water pump. During most engine use RPM's, an electric pump moves more coolant than the stocker.

The stock setup is here: http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg
Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Stock pump is best for the street or for road racing. Electric is great for the track, 1/4 mile at a time you wont get to a point where you will produce enough heat in 10-15 seconds to overcome the less water from an EWP at high RPM.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by SAMUEL.FWALKER
Will the stock lt4 water pump work properly if I have a custom grind cam..my car electric water pump took a dump an I can't afford it at the moment...stock pump is cheaper just curious if it will properly cool the motor
What pump is it? I think manufactures offer a rebuild at a flat rate. My Meziere pump cost $100 to be rebuilt a few years ago. I've ran it on the street and it was around 10* hotter than a mechanical when in motion and about 20* in stop/go traffic. This was with a 396cid.

Quick Reply: help?