LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 EWP & Manual Fan Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 EWP & Manual Fan Switch Wiring

Hey guys,
Just put the car back together after adding a Meziere water pump. Now my problem is wiring the water pump so it will turn on when the ACC is on as well as when the car is actually on. I have tried to sift through other posts about wiring, but I am diagram illiterate when it comes to wiring. Here are the two wires I am working with;

My second question which also deals with wiring is trying to figure out the SLP Manual Fan Switch. Instead of using their switch I have a switch I was planning on using, which I would only want to have the HIGH and OFF as ON/OFF. I don't want to have a low speed option for the fans. Any input would be greatly appreciate, here is what I am working with;

Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The earlier model cars did not have the high low function for the fans. Also, if you want to add a manual switch I think you'd have to add a separate circuit with diodes (they are basically electrical check valves) on both circuits so power will only flow in one direction. Simple enough yes.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One good option for the ewp wiring is to run it off the fuel pump relay output (not the coil signal from the pcm). Use another relay, but trigger it off the fuel pump relay that is located near the dead pedal area. That way it only runs when the motor is running, but it always runs when the motor is running. If you want to run it in the pits with the motor off, you need an auxiliary switch, and you may need to use a diode to prevent back feeding the fuel pump supply.

The fans run off the dark blue and dark green wires in the engine comp. fuse box. When they are grounded, the two fans run. So you can hook them up however you want to get the fans to go. It has been too long since I did mine, so I can't remember which one does what, but I just used a 2 pole/2 throw switch to turn them both on at the same time. The 2 pole switch lets them operate normally in the off position, as opposed to tying them together for a 1 pole switch..
Old 01-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
One good option for the ewp wiring is to run it off the fuel pump relay output (not the coil signal from the pcm). Use another relay, but trigger it off the fuel pump relay that is located near the dead pedal area. That way it only runs when the motor is running, but it always runs when the motor is running. If you want to run it in the pits with the motor off, you need an auxiliary switch, and you may need to use a diode to prevent back feeding the fuel pump supply.

The fans run off the dark blue and dark green wires in the engine comp. fuse box. When they are grounded, the two fans run. So you can hook them up however you want to get the fans to go. It has been too long since I did mine, so I can't remember which one does what, but I just used a 2 pole/2 throw switch to turn them both on at the same time. The 2 pole switch lets them operate normally in the off position, as opposed to tying them together for a 1 pole switch..

Could I just bypass the fuel pump and wire it to switch only and just make sure the switch is on when the car is on? Sorry, I'm not the best at wiring/understanding; I have a friend that is very well versed in wiring and a GM tech that will be guiding me through the install but I want to get an idea of what we are doing before hand.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacks94Z
Hey guys,
Just put the car back together after adding a Meziere water pump. Now my problem is wiring the water pump so it will turn on when the ACC is on as well as when the car is actually on.
Easy, use two relays. Take your trigger wires off the I/P fuse block, there are spade connectors there for IGN (12v in RUN) and ACCY (12v in ACCESSORY).

Relay wiring is simple enough, run 12v from the battery to pin 30, trigger to 85, ground to 86, and the blue wire of the water pump harness to 87 (you'll have to split it between both relays, or jumper it). Ground the black EWP wire to chassis.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacks94Z
Could I just bypass the fuel pump and wire it to switch only and just make sure the switch is on when the car is on? Sorry, I'm not the best at wiring/understanding; I have a friend that is very well versed in wiring and a GM tech that will be guiding me through the install but I want to get an idea of what we are doing before hand.
Sooner or later, something will happen where it will not be on when it needs to be on. Then you will have more to worry about. But, of course, you can just wire it to a switched +12V source.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You find a power source that has power with the key on in the positions you desire. You run that power source to a relay. You wire the relay correctly. Your pump runs as you wish.

Your fan switch would go to the trigger side of the high speed fan relay.

Its simple and your friend shouldn't have an issue if they know a thing or two.

Quick Reply: LT1 EWP & Manual Fan Switch Wiring