LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

just installed a accel opti-spark. ISSUES!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahritchie
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

^ There's the testing procedure. FWIW...I like to see if the car will start up briefly BEFORE putting the water pump back on after a new opti is installed (You might get a dud ); you don't want to have to do it twice.
I did test a and d. I don't think we were seeing voltage at b when cranking. If I'm not seeing voltage at b does it mean the opti then?

Also, what brand of opti is the preferred one these days? I heard new old stock is non-existent and the delcos are now made in china(if that's true). There's the aip ones and several other brands including the msd one that is apparently junk. Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwiketz
I did test a and d. I don't think we were seeing voltage at b when cranking. If I'm not seeing voltage at b does it mean the opti then?

Also, what brand of opti is the preferred one these days? I heard new old stock is non-existent and the delcos are now made in china(if that's true). There's the aip ones and several other brands including the msd one that is apparently junk. Thoughts?
If no voltage, you need a new opti; if it were just misfiring sometimes replacing just the cap and rotor would be worth a try.

The MSD one is not junk, I do think they have had some failures/issues as with any optispark but they do stand behind it with a warranty....I just put one on last weekend and it's working great and has my car running smooth. AC delco parts have a 1 year warranty if you buy them from a certified part dealer (like a dealership) even if you can't get a N.O.S. opti and have to get a remanufactured one. I would either go with AC delco or MSD....MSD will rebuild it for $137 or less many years after the warranty expires (ask GM to do that )....something to consider as well!

Just steer clear of auto zone or other cheap-o optis!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 not starting

My 95 LT1 quit on me about a week ago, I ordered OBD1 download with cable which just came in. I have no codes in the system but the car will not start. There are no electrical issues, the VATS is showing ok. The engine turns over but not even an attempt to start. Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by don5150
My 95 LT1 quit on me about a week ago, I ordered OBD1 download with cable which just came in. I have no codes in the system but the car will not start. There are no electrical issues, the VATS is showing ok. The engine turns over but not even an attempt to start. Any thoughts?
The ICM on these cars is as just as troublesome as the optispark, my LT1 has gone through two of those over the years, which cause the no start condition (no codes either), does it have spark from the coil? It could be a bad coil too. In my experience the ICM starts acting up before it dies completely, but who knows. ICM's can be tested at some parts stores. The ICM on my L67 supercharged Regal took a dump 2 days ago causing a no start, new one took 10 minutes to install and it started right up. The fools at autozone had no idea how to test the damn thing ....but assured me I could return it after "testing" it on my car if it did't work since they are too incompetent to do so there like they are supposed to...BINGO! It starts right up. There's opti troubleshooting steps here too: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html

Is it an original opti? If not what brand? How many miles? You need to check fuel pressure too with a gauge to eliminate that...if the opti is completely dead, it won't even fire the injectors.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:39 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

He replaced an Accel opti a few weeks ago with a Delphi.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BTC
He replaced an Accel opti a few weeks ago with a Delphi.
^Ah ok...didn't re-read the whole thread! Most likely a coil/ICM or fuel pump issue is my guess still. Or he's got my luck with dud optisparks! OP did you locktite the opti rotor? Hopefully the screws didn't back out....if you hear rattling from your optispark when you take it off, you have found the issue!

Quick Reply: just installed a accel opti-spark. ISSUES!!