LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 popping stuttering loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 popping stuttering loss of power

Ok boys here we Go... ill start from the begining a month ago.

I went outside to start my car... it rained the night before and got real humid. So i try to start my car and it just wont turn over.. moisture causing it to misfire and to not turn over. Soi drain my battery tryin to crank it.... i remove the battery from the car to trickle charge it. so once it's charged i take it for a ride all the sudden I started getting loss of power, engine sluggishness and popping coming from the car. I let the car sit for a couple days, took it to school rebuilt the rear end, all new carrier, axel pinion bearings for an unrelated problem. after finishing the differential engine problem worked itself out, it seemed like one day i was pulling it into the shop and it was just runnin differntly. so i thougt it was ok...

So the other day It rains and gets humid. I go to start my car to go see fast n furious. Doesnt wana turn over. I drain my battery again trying to start it. I get it going today and now the engine sputtering, loss of power under acclacceleration. acting like it was starved for fuel. Is back.... it also idles really rough. also if i floor it, the rpms just break loose and no acceleration just pegging the rpms till i let off the gas and re apply my foot.

HOW COULD IT GO AWAY FOR LIKE 2 WEEKS THEN COME BACK?

Im thinking fuel pump becuase an ignition system problem, wouldnt fix itself for 2 weeks.

I have a list for checking my:

MAF sensor
Check plugs wires
fuel filter
tps sensor
knock sensor
fuel pump...

Am i headed in then right direction checking those?

Please be very specific with the fixes you did.

1995 z28 ive been running the mods on the car ever since ive had it. And never had any problems
Old 04-05-2015, 11:08 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

When I had an Opti **** the bed on me, it acted the same way. One day fine, the next day garbage. It was very intermittent until it simply gave up the ghost. Lasted over a month for me.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Already had the distributor cap blow 2 yrs ago. Had it replaced. Could it go bad again that quick? Also this is not a common occurrence.. only time its done it besides a month ago... The going away and coming back is puzzling. And only came back with i drained the battery then charged it again
Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Yes it could go bad that quick. Especially if the vent harness was plugged up or disconnected. The more humid it gets the worse the symptoms will be. As far as not wanting to "turn over" it could be an intermittent starter.

As far as a fuel issue, the best way to check function is to make sure you have good pressure, IIRC should be around 40 PSI, but double check that figure.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:59 PM

i drove it to school. no problems. no codes for it. Since i unplugged the battery the first time. And drained it again the second time. We think the computer went into limp mode or just wiped. And since i have a fairly moded car it had to adjust to the mods. Becuase the car is running fine now. Best solution is to install MSD distributor, you dont have to deal with moisture issues As much. Screw opti spark

Quick Reply: Lt1 popping stuttering loss of power