LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bastard LTx Build Thread - For real this time :) (NOW WITH MOAR PICZ)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
10an fuel lines? lulz Ffff that cost. Good call on down sizing. NA fuel requirements shouldn't be that horrid.

Intank dual pumps?
Yea there was no way I was going to waste all that money for a -10AN setup, thats for insane 4digit+ hp setups.

I currently have a single 255 w/ hotwire kit to alt that should just barely be enough NA for 650hp (according to Lonnie) since they don't need as much pump as an FI build.

Eventually I will either swap out for a 340 w/ upgraded bulkhead or just go dual 255s...
Old 04-17-2015, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Greg at FTI has me a **** hair away from pulling the trigger on a glide w/9" SST stall...

Lol.

Am I crazy??? TH350, TH400, and Glide all share the same final ratio so cruising will be similar. Glide is basically like starting in 2nd gear in a TH400 so it may bog a tiny bit, but with the 4k+ stall I will be running anyway that's not a huge deal either. It is smaller, lighter, eats less power, and holds a ton more hp per dollar then a TH400...

Decisions, decisions...
Man... That DO make a fellow pause with a "HMmmm..." tho', don't it?

I'd say that's a solid plan. We're talking 3 speed right? And you're not runnin' it highway (for any necessity) so, why not? You're gonna have plenty of torque down low... and the lowered parasitic drag should MORE than make up for the minimal bog.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OVA1
Man... That DO make a fellow pause with a "HMmmm..." tho', don't it?

I'd say that's a solid plan. We're talking 3 speed right? And you're not runnin' it highway (for any necessity) so, why not? You're gonna have plenty of torque down low... and the lowered parasitic drag should MORE than make up for the minimal bog.
Reverse, Fast, and Faster . 2 forward gears, first is in the middle of where first and second fall on a TH400, and second is the same 1:1 as 3rd.

It takes 18hp to spin vs 44 for a TH400, and is considerably lighter and more efficient. A glide w/ 8" stall is a TON less weight then the 80e I was first considering, and still quite a bit lighter then the TH400 w/9" combo as well.

Basically north of 600hp and south of 3200lbs, if its a mainly track car, the glide may be a good choice. Even in cases where you lose a bit of ET from the softer first gear, it may still be a good choice for bracket racing because of its consistency.

I know a lot of people act like its only for 1,000hp big blocks, but if you go to your local track or talk to the tranny shops the racers use most wont hesitate to put a Glide in pretty much anything lol.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Reverse, Fast, and Faster . 2 forward gears, first is in the middle of where first and second fall on a TH400, and second is the same 1:1 as 3rd.

It takes 18hp to spin vs 44 for a TH400, and is considerably lighter and more efficient. A glide w/ 8" stall is a TON less weight then the 80e I was first considering, and still quite a bit lighter then the TH400 w/9" combo as well.

Basically north of 600hp and south of 3200lbs, if its a mainly track car, the glide may be a good choice. Even in cases where you lose a bit of ET from the softer first gear, it may still be a good choice for bracket racing because of its consistency.

I know a lot of people act like its only for 1,000hp big blocks, but if you go to your local track or talk to the tranny shops the racers use most wont hesitate to put a Glide in pretty much anything lol.
They put powerglides in everything because of the consistency, not the sheer speed. By leaving softer (gear ratio), the car will launch in bad conditions easier, and by only having 1 shift there is less room for error. Any tranny can be built to handle 1000hp if the builder is good. Buick guys run those tiny metric 200 trannies behind some nasty GN's. Lots of shops won't touch them. Go watch some youtube videos of the first 427 COPO's that came out in 2012. They are around 800-850hp, and they launch like a 12 second car.

Here's a 2014 427 COPO with a 3-speed:

Watch at the 1:35 mark

Old 04-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Good to see you making progress on the porch ornament Still waiting for pics!

It is going to be interesting to see what you can do with a PG.. have you figured out what rear gear to run with it yet?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Default New Style 24x setup w/ Billet Timing Cover

Originally Posted by joelster
They put powerglides in everything because of the consistency, not the sheer speed. By leaving softer (gear ratio), the car will launch in bad conditions easier, and by only having 1 shift there is less room for error. Any tranny can be built to handle 1000hp if the builder is good. Buick guys run those tiny metric 200 trannies behind some nasty GN's. Lots of shops won't touch them. Go watch some youtube videos of the first 427 COPO's that came out in 2012. They are around 800-850hp, and they launch like a 12 second car.

427 COPO - YouTube

Here's a 2014 427 COPO with a 3-speed:

Watch at the 1:35 mark

COPO CRAZINESS!! Copo Camaro Shootout - Holley LS Fest 2014 - YouTube
Yep, that is exactly what I want . The car will be bracket raced on weekends down here and I want complete consistency.

Originally Posted by PA94Z
Good to see you making progress on the porch ornament Still waiting for pics!

It is going to be interesting to see what you can do with a PG.. have you figured out what rear gear to run with it yet?
To get moving they recommended at least a 4.10 rear gear (which is what I was considering anyway) and spec'd an 8" stall that will flash to 5-5,200. I'm also trying to get the car down to 3100lbs before the cage goes in, so I want to find 100 more lbs to take out of it.

With a 28" tire and 4.10s I'd be at only 3,000 rpm cruising in 60, which is perfect if I want to go to a car meet or take it out for dinner. Won't be a highway touring car that I would want to do 75mph for an hour in, but won't be as bad as people may think.

The 24x setup w/billet timing cover and modified Cloyes Double Roller came in yesterday, and the coils have been here for a few days. Fuel stuff will be in sometime next week, along with the Superdamper and 104mm Lid. Trans+stall either end of next week or two weeks from now, and still waiting for a response from BP on my harness...I think my email got lost so I'm gonna give him a call.

New Style 24x setup with Billet Timing Cover.

Last edited by Puck; 07-19-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Was doing a bit of research on trans dipsticks and just found out Madman makes a pre-bent rigid f-body dipstick for all types of transmissions.

Easier install then the Lokar braided I was looking at, fills faster, mounts in stock location so no zipties, and has a positive lock. It's also cheaper, which is always nice
Old 04-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck Lokar crap.

Do yourself a favor and don't get one.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck Lokar crap.

Do yourself a favor and don't get one.
I've read a lot of that exact thing lol. Glad I didn't jump the gun and order it. Everything I've seen points to it being a huge PITA to install and mount up, and takes forever to fill.

When I saw the Madman stock style rigid dipstick pre-bent for different transmissions in F-body cars I bookmarked it right away .
Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

greg is a sharp cookie and a strait shooter. if he recommended the glide i would follow his advise. also the trq conv will make or break a good combination. so dont be afraid to pull it out and have greg make adjustments to it. we spent 1100 on our fti conv and had him make several changes to get it dialed in. but it was well worth the money when it was all said and done. also the madman dip stick is ****. we run one for the th400. fits like a factory piece.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
greg is a sharp cookie and a strait shooter. if he recommended the glide i would follow his advise. also the trq conv will make or break a good combination. so dont be afraid to pull it out and have greg make adjustments to it. we spent 1100 on our fti conv and had him make several changes to get it dialed in. but it was well worth the money when it was all said and done. also the madman dip stick is ****. we run one for the th400. fits like a factory piece.
Yea Greg is awesome. He could tell I was still hesitant about the glide and he walked me through the shop and without saying his opinion he asked two other guys what trans would they use with the specs I told him and they both said if it's a street car then a 400, and mostly bracket racing then a glide.

My stall was the same price, 1100. He said if I have any issues to bring it to him with the time slip to see if it needs restalling.

Class Acts at that shop for sure.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have that exact Madman dipstick. It is a million times better than the Lokar flexible one. The Madman dipstick also has a locking cap, which is required for track use.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Big *****!
Old 04-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Man-Crush Warning

I've read a lot of that exact thing lol. Glad I didn't jump the gun and order it. Everything I've seen points to it being a huge PITA to install and mount up, and takes forever to fill.

When I saw the Madman stock style rigid dipstick pre-bent for different transmissions in F-body cars I bookmarked it right away .
Its not a horrible installing dipstick, but its impossible to read after you add a quart or whatever. Sucks to read once there is residual fluid in the tube.

That and their 80e "specific" stick, was like a 1/4 inch low.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Its not a horrible installing dipstick, but its impossible to read after you add a quart or whatever. Sucks to read once there is residual fluid in the tube.

That and their 80e "specific" stick, was like a 1/4 inch low.
Sounds like the Madman is the best bet then for sure.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the Madman is the best bet then for sure.
I also have the madman dipstick. the only thing is it's right at the cowl on my application. little hard to fill up, but can be done. The bonus is you can barely see it.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Ordered the Mallory billet dizzy plug/oil pump drive. Don't want to dick around with the plastic dummy drive or those little metal "drive savers" if I have the hole on my intake anyway.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Why not just run a vortec dizzy and save the cost of buying the fancy EFI cam sensor?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Why not just run a vortec dizzy and save the cost of buying the fancy EFI cam sensor?
I don't want to have to mess with cap and rotor changes under the cowl, and I'd still need the newer timing cover and crank reluctor since I had a 93 setup.

If it wasn't going in a 4th gen I would have went with a Vortec like the homemade setup one of the members from here did, I think for simplicity he used the van tune on a 411PCM since it is a single coil 4x signal instead of full coil on plug 24x.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Man-Crush Warning

No, vortec dizzy for cam position signal only, still COP.

Quick Reply: Bastard LTx Build Thread - For real this time :) (NOW WITH MOAR PICZ)