Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hit the jackpot on that find.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well todays drive with some little changes in the computer helped. Made some adjustments to the injector cutoff. Helps the low end a bunch. Still not great but its something. However it did not come without some hiccups.

First I am already fuel starving at 18 miles after putting 5 gallons of gas in. So looks like the next stop is the gas station. Gauge is moving around enough to hit empty in the corners so this should be an easy fix.

However number two could be a problem. On a easy pull at 4000rpm the oil pressure on the gauge started to drop. However when I let off it seemed to jump up. So next plan is to put my mechanical gauge on the engine and run it. Hopefully its just a sensor problem. Hopefully its not an oil pump problem. Bearings looked ok when the engine was out. Everything was torqued back to spec. Oil is still near the full line and no leaks yet.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will figure. All first starts/drives are like that.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Well, oil pressure problems have showed up. So looks like the engine has to come back out. Anything over 3000 rpm the oil pressure drops to 20psi. So it's parked again. I'm actually in no mood to pull the engine. So time to take insurance back off any let it continue to rust away.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Well, oil pressure problems have showed up. So looks like the engine has to come back out. Anything over 3000 rpm the oil pressure drops to 20psi. So it's parked again. I'm actually in no mood to pull the engine. So time to take insurance back off any let it continue to rust away.
That sucks man, I know the feeling of working for hours on a car only to discover more problems I wonder if the oil pressure issues existed before the crash or if a nasty hit like that could have tweaked the oil pump or pickup somehow? I take it you put the mechanical gauge on it to confirm the issue?

Don't give up on it yet, you got real lucky with the deeply discounted 383 regardless of issues, you are clearly being tested for your loyalty by the LT1 gods ....there is light at the end of the tunnel! My car was a wrecked pile rotting away under a carport for over 3 years before it rose from the ashes like the proverbial Pheonix and now is busting asses and taking names daily It does take quite a bit of patience, dedication, and downright stubborness to stick with a LT1 build for sure! Once you get that 383 running right, you'll realize all the headaches and trouble was worth it!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
if a nasty hit like that could have tweaked the oil pump or pickup somehow?
This was my first thought. OP you got too good of a deal to just give up on it, keep pressing forward.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks man, I know the feeling of working for hours on a car only to discover more problems I wonder if the oil pressure issues existed before the crash or if a nasty hit like that could have tweaked the oil pump or pickup somehow? I take it you put the mechanical gauge on it to confirm the issue?

Don't give up on it yet, you got real lucky with the deeply discounted 383 regardless of issues, you are clearly being tested for your loyalty by the LT1 gods ....there is light at the end of the tunnel! My car was a wrecked pile rotting away under a carport for over 3 years before it rose from the ashes like the proverbial Pheonix and now is busting asses and taking names daily It does take quite a bit of patience, dedication, and downright stubborness to stick with a LT1 build for sure! Once you get that 383 running right, you'll realize all the headaches and trouble was worth it!
The Lt1 gods have wanted this car to be dead. I've lost count of how many engines have gone into this car. I know I got lucky, but the enthusiasm has dropped off greatly. The tune is way off. Enough that the car feels like it has about 300hp....maybe. My old cc503 engine pulled harder. My brothers 95 z28 may even out run this one. His is just a bolt on car. My Firebird has really been down since 2-21-2009. Its come alive and died many times. Enough to waste 10-15 grand. Mainly in machine shop work, gaskets, clutches, and fluids. This is the 7th engine or rebuilt engine that has gone into this car. . The will was there many years ago. Not anymore.

As for the oil pickup. Looked fine compared to my other one. I was so close to installing my newish gm oil pump. Should have maybe it would have helped the problem. Who knows, but at this point its 10 hours of work that I don't want to do.

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
This was my first thought. OP you got too good of a deal to just give up on it, keep pressing forward.
Ill try to keep moral up. But its fading fast. First car love is even gone. I would miss it in 10 years but for now I would let it go an just take some cash.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the best scores I have read about. Nice.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dammit if you were closer id fix it for you. I just went through a long period of time with mine simillar to what you just described. Now my car is finally where I wanted it to be back in 07-08. I lost a lot of money and interest but its thriving more than ever now that its done. Dont give up!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by transbird95
Dammit if you were closer id fix it for you. I just went through a long period of time with mine simillar to what you just described. Now my car is finally where I wanted it to be back in 07-08. I lost a lot of money and interest but its thriving more than ever now that its done. Dont give up!
What he said. If you were only closer id help you. Ive got a buddy that has a 94Z, LE heads and GM 847. 12 bolt and every suspension piece brand new. been sitting for 5 years due to a broken slider key in the T56. So, me and another buddy when and puled the trans Monday and I about have it tore down. Just hate seeing a car sit like that, Especially when he has put big$$ in it.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, ahritchie is just a stone's throw down the highway, I'm sure if you bribe him with a few cold brews he'd lend you a hand, lol.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Well the car is still on the back burner. I am moving in a month, plus my daily driver miata needs some work in both the suspension and the failing 5spd has a bad bearing somewhere. I have had a spare transmission in the garage for the past year and a half. I knew it was getting bad so nothing like a $100 transmission. Miatas are stupid cheap to run and repair. I was really hoping that the Fireturd would be running so I can take a few days with the miata.

Been doing some research and getting nowhere on the issue. So i guess the engine will be coming out. My other oil pump will be going in. I guess new bearings will also be on order. I have friends willing to help but scheduling makes it into September before it will happen. I know I have helped my buddy put everything from his crashed mustang into his new mustang (yeah I know its a mustang). But hopefully moral will go up by then. Still willing to sell it as its the biggest money pit ever. Maybe one day it will be worth it.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Wow...7 engines? If you're in the money pit this deep already, what more do you have to lose pulling the engine an 8th time? Take your time and pay attention to the details. Just remember you have quadruple the HP of the miata just waiting there to be finally unleashed!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

man keep your chin up do not loose hope! I also found a forged 355 in a junkyard I posted it. I got her back in my bird and she Screams! do not give up on her or you will never forgive your self
Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Wow...7 engines? If you're in the money pit this deep already, what more do you have to lose pulling the engine an 8th time? Take your time and pay attention to the details. Just remember you have quadruple the HP of the miata just waiting there to be finally unleashed!
Yeah the fun of crappy machine shops and crappy parts. You think everything is right and then get screwed again. The horsepower will be fun but the huge cam is not. Tuning is needed but cam surge is bad under 2000rpm. I think I have grown up. I really don't care for the car. It's been a pain in the butt. Buddy was joking the other day. He has had loads of these cars. Only the Pontiac Firebirds have been a pain. Must me something about them. We are dedicated but still I have a few cars that have caught my eye. Something practical. I think it's time to save for a while and buy a corvette in the future.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Yeah the fun of crappy machine shops and crappy parts. You think everything is right and then get screwed again. The horsepower will be fun but the huge cam is not. Tuning is needed but cam surge is bad under 2000rpm. I think I have grown up. I really don't care for the car. It's been a pain in the butt. Buddy was joking the other day. He has had loads of these cars. Only the Pontiac Firebirds have been a pain. Must me something about them. We are dedicated but still I have a few cars that have caught my eye. Something practical. I think it's time to save for a while and buy a corvette in the future.
Sounds like a tune issue, I've got a decent sized 231/239 cam in my 383 and there's very little cam surge under 1400 RPM. "Practical corvette"= oxymoron! Corvettes do handle like a dream compared to a F-body and hold value good but is nice to be able to carry more than 1 passenger when needed and not have the retiree image. As far as Firebirds being bedeviled with issues, no, it's a LT1 thing.....This would have never happened had Pontiac engineers been allowed to design their own clean sheet Gen 2 engine in house!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well played with it some. I think we have the problem. Looks like the thrust bearing is shot. Max end play is .008 of an inch. I am seeing somewhere around .036 of an inch. At least that is what I am getting off the balancer. Either way the engine has to come out of the car again. Hello new bearings and a new oil pump. If this does not fix it the car will be parted out. I will not be pulling the engine again. This will be the last time or I am may just burn it to the ground.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Na don't give up, Just think of the deal you got with the engine.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How much do you want to sell the engine for?
Old 09-12-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your in NC correct? How much do you want for the engine if you do give up on it...

Quick Reply: Look what I got at the junkyard today