LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Change Interval After Heads and Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Change Interval After Heads and Cam Swap

Hopefully going to be getting my car back together in the next few weeks after doing a heads and cam swap. (Can't wait!) I plan on changing the oil that's been sitting in there before I fire it up. Bottom end is original with 60k.

Should I change the oil and filter again after running it the first time? Cam and valve train will have assembly lube on them. How often should the oil changed after the first fire up?

Also, I have always run Mobil 1 10W-30 and wix filters. Is that ok to use during the first few oil changes?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

No fancy lubes or break in oils. You're doing a simple H/C swap on a roller motor, there is no need. Coat parts in regular motor oil and soak the lifters/rockers (or anything else with little moving parts) if they're new.

What kind of Wix do you usually run? Not sure if this pertains to you, but... racing oil filters are intended for race cars that are constantly driven hard. A racing filter will not go into bypass as easily when the revs build but only because they aren't as effective at filtering oil overall. A regular oil filter is better for a street car because it's cruising most of the time.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just run the regular non-racing wix filters. I have read about the differences.

I put Permatex Ultra Slick Assembly lube on the cam when I put it in. It's nice and slick and gooey. The motor was going to sit for a while before I fired it and I did not want regular oil to run off. I will be using this on the contact points for the valve train too. Seems like good insurance.

I guess I will change the oil after the first heat cycle or two just to get the lube and any initial contaminates out. Should I maybe change it again after a few hundred miles and then go to a regular oil change interval?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Interval After Heads and Cam Swap