LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 sluggish and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 sluggish and loss of power

Ok guys picked up my first Lt1, always had an ls but got a deal I couldn't pass up, and forgive me if this has been addressed in the past but couldn't find much on it.

So whats happening is under acceleration it occasionally becomes very sluggish and loses power, as if half the cylinders just stopped firing, then comes back to normal. I replaced the PCV valve on it and it seemed to fix it for a day or two but then started doing it again. The old one had what in my opinion was quite a bit of oil in it, so I figured it was sticking. Not sure if an opti rebuild or coil replacement would be in order as well? Under normal driving its strong and full of torque, but when it bogs down its awful and just doesn't feel good.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hawk_479
Ok guys picked up my first Lt1, always had an ls but got a deal I couldn't pass up, and forgive me if this has been addressed in the past but couldn't find much on it.

So whats happening is under acceleration it occasionally becomes very sluggish and loses power, as if half the cylinders just stopped firing, then comes back to normal. I replaced the PCV valve on it and it seemed to fix it for a day or two but then started doing it again. The old one had what in my opinion was quite a bit of oil in it, so I figured it was sticking. Not sure if an opti rebuild or coil replacement would be in order as well? Under normal driving its strong and full of torque, but when it bogs down its awful and just doesn't feel good.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Nice Firehawk...I've got #37 from 99.

Could be the opti; I would do a full tuneup and replace the plugs and wires first though, fuel filter too. If that doesn't help any, I would look into troubleshooting the opti and coil.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Opti spark solved my issue that was similar to that. Before the car went through a little "restoration" it felt sluggish, started hard, and just ran like crap. Bought a chandler motorsports opti off of ebay and all is well.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MotorHead17
Opti spark solved my issue that was similar to that. Before the car went through a little "restoration" it felt sluggish, started hard, and just ran like crap. Bought a chandler motorsports opti off of ebay and all is well.
Did you replace the whole opti? Ive seen a lot guys that just seem to rebuild them. Ill also do the fuel filter, just so happens I have one laying around.

And thanks ahritchie
Old 05-04-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the car have headers? I just fixed my problem that was similar because of burnt plug wires.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

stock manifolds, but previous owner did remove the cat and replace plugs and wires, just unsure of how long ago they were done

Quick Reply: LT1 sluggish and loss of power