LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which aluminum heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Village Troll

Received 520 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
So the guy churning out hand ported heads is just blindly porting and each head is vastly different? Did not know, thanks for that insight. Here I was thinking they too developed a good port geometry and used foam inserts to replicate it time and time again. Mai bad.
Ever see this?
Name:  LEheads_zpsxagniysn.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  7.4 KB

This was done back in 2008 by someone other than the popular bashers the LE crowd were so butt hurt over after some intake ports of LE heads were posted and looked pretty similar to the ports on the right. Then there's the threads on pin holes and valve springs and cracked valve guides and top ends destroying lifters, etc...
Don't shoot the messenger!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Which aluminum heads?

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Ever see this?

This was done back in 2008 by someone other than the popular bashers the LE crowd were so butt hurt over after some intake ports of LE heads were posted and looked pretty similar to the ports on the right. Then there's the threads on pin holes and valve springs and cracked valve guides and top ends destroying lifters, etc...
Don't shoot the messenger!
Agreed, the odds of error hand porting vs CNC is definitely greater. But that's where the cost is reflected. I like my LE2s, but would do AI if I had the money. I got a good deal on my LE2s, so I jumped on it.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Which aluminum heads?

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
So I think I have narrowed it down between the LE trickflows 21 degree heads which would 2100 or the afr 210s for 1800. I got a quote on the afrs from a company. Only difference is I will need to do some port matching with the afrs bc they are lt4 designs and 23 degree heads. What's the thought between these two.
Tough one, I think the AFR's are a better option at those prices.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
So I think I have narrowed it down between the LE trickflows 21 degree heads which would 2100 or the afr 210s for 1800. I got a quote on the afrs from a company. Only difference is I will need to do some port matching with the afrs bc they are lt4 designs and 23 degree heads. What's the thought between these two.
Not sure if you already have them but you are aware that the AFRs require NSA rockers right? If you don't already have them then the added cost would put both choices about even. The deciding factor here will probably be what makes the best use of the parts already installed like your cam. If you plan to change the cam also then my consideration would lean more towards the LE Trick Flows.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I would be running NSA rockers on any H/C setup regardless.

There are a few weird things about the 210s you should know. There is not enough meat on the top of the LT1 intake manifold to safely seal the intake ports so the LT4 is a necessity. The springs that come on the heads are for a solid roller cam so you'll have to swap them out if this is a street HR setup. Finding valvetrain parts can be difficult because of big installed height and beadlock valves. Also, you might need offset rockers (I certainly did) for adequate pushrod/head clearance.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All out build with bigger budget and goals - AFR
Quality heads with more modest budget and goals - TFS

The AFR heads will allow a larger ceiling for power but cost more to properly utilize and may be overkill depending on the setup

Quick Reply: Which aluminum heads?