LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 LT1 VATS/theft deterrent issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 LT1 VATS/theft deterrent issues

Ok so I know this has been asked a million times, and I've gone through a million threads on it, so please forgive me. I am awful with anything electrical, to the point that I can't even easily make anything of a wiring diagram. So here we go:

I bought a 1994 Firebird Formula hardtop 6speed 4 weeks ago, knowing that it would take a lot of work to even make it run. I have since put the optispark back in (MSD cap and rotor), replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, brakes, and an oil change. The problem I'm running into now is the electrical system, in particular the VATS/Theft Deterrent system. 2 weeks ago it cranked like a beast but there was no fuel. So after replacing the pump and relay, I finally have a prime when I turn the key. So I have fuel. But today I went to try to start it to make sure the Opti is in right before putting the water pump and radiator back in. The car no longer cranks but all the lights are on. I pulled the clutch switch out and tested it and it's connection at the harness, and it looks good. Now I'm thinking it's either the VATS (security light stays on now) or the theft deterrent. Someone said the TDS relay is under the left kick panel, but that's the fuel pump relay. Someone else said the right side kick panel, and it looks like that's the wireless entry module. Someone else told me it was under the glove box, but I can't seem to see the relay or module under there. And yet someone else said it's all under the passenger airbag. None of these suggestions have led me to find the thing (Haynes manual doesn't even mention it, which I assume is for security reasons). So where are these? There's a pic of them on shbox.com, but there's no frame of reference as to where it is on the car. Am I going to need to take the whole dash out?

It would be perfect if I had a video telling me how to do it in on an 8th grade level, but that's probably not going to happen. So can anyone explain where they are and if simply replacing them tomorrow will be enough to fix it? Thanks.

Last edited by 94formula6speed; 08-03-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Oh, almost forgot. I charged the battery fully and had the starter tested, both work great (battery is 4 weeks old as well). So that also leads me to believe it's electrical system.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Ok, so I got one last burst of energy and went at it looking for the relays. Looks like the TDS relay is directly to the right of the glove compartment on the other side of the sheet metal, almost caddy corner to the right bottom of the passenger airbag. I got it out with some deliberation, and I realized there was a second, almost identical relay there right under that other one. Now I'm not sure which is the TDS relay, but I assume the purple/yellow wired one. The other I'm not sure about but I figured "why not replace it while I'm in there". So I'm gonna look that one up and replace both. If that doesn't work, it's time to look at the key, the ignition switch/cylinder, and possibly the TDS module itself. I'll keep this thread updated tomorrow as I get the tax paid on the car and then run by autozone on the way home. Feel free to add suggestions. This is a great learning experience for me in electrical systems.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The other relay is the hatch relay. You should easily be able to tell if the the relay is good with some electrical tests and schematics.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. That one worked so I left it. I'm now down to getting the resistors for the vats bypass, and then I should be up and running. After buying a fuel pump and paying the tax on the car, I was damn near broke so I took a break for two weeks until some more paychecks come in. Will most likely work on it more this weekend, and hopefully get it is inspected on Monday.

Quick Reply: 1994 LT1 VATS/theft deterrent issues