LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 LT1 Trans Am Trouble. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LT1 Trans Am Trouble. Help!!

I have a 1993 Pontiac Trans Am lt1. The car is supercharged it has Lunati cam, crane box, inline T Rex fuel pump, long tube headers, 58 millimeter throttle body, and everything has been working fine for years, and all of a sudden this happens. It runs perfect when cold speedo works great everything works perfect but when the car gets up the temperature speedometer stops working check engine light comes on fans cut on and engine won't pull past 3000 rpms (feels like a rev limiter). When the check engine light comes on it will not give me a code when it goes off it still wont give me a code. I was told I could be the VSS sensor but I replace the sensor as well as the pigtail and still does it when it gets hot.Please Help.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 93 LT1 Trans Am Trouble. Help!!

Interesting. Did you check the other end of the VSS wiring (at the PCM)?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like corrosion on a ground wire in the engine bay, or a connector in the engine bay, it's a 22 year old car. When the engine bay heats up, you are losing continuity to ground most likely. I had a similar issue on my malibu where when cold, I only had an ABS and brake light, when it warmed up, or a hot humid day, I would get ABS, TCS, and check vehicle lights. I sanded all my ground connections and put dielectric grease on the EBCM connector and now no more heat related codes.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcm side

Where do you go to find the vss on the Pcm side?

Quick Reply: 93 LT1 Trans Am Trouble. Help!!