LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ac compressor questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ac compressor questions

The other day I was driving my LT1 camaro and i noticed an odd sound from the engine. The ac compressor looks like it was kicking on and off or something and I could have sworn the serpentine belt was smoking. The front of the ac compressor (im assumming the clutch?) would spin then not spin like it could be locking up.

Where should i start with this? Is this something I can add PAG oil too and get it down the road?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Typically, a low Freon charge will cause rapid cycling of the compressor clutch. It could have been rust dust that looked like smoke. For now I would just keep it off the a/c or defrost settings until you can get it fixed.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Critt3r
The other day I was driving my LT1 camaro and i noticed an odd sound from the engine. The ac compressor looks like it was kicking on and off or something and I could have sworn the serpentine belt was smoking. The front of the ac compressor (im assumming the clutch?) would spin then not spin like it could be locking up.

Where should i start with this? Is this something I can add PAG oil too and get it down the road?
The AC compressor clutch is a two piece design. One part (the middle) is fixed to the compressor shaft. The outer part of it spins around the center freely until the clutch is engaged and is grooved for the belt to ride in/drive.

With the engine off, grab the middle part of the clutch and spin it. It should spin by hand. If it doesnt, your AC compressor it's locked up. If it does spin, check your low and high pressures and make sure they are within limits. You'll need an AC manifold gauge set for that.

Another option is to Data log it.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hrcslam
The AC compressor clutch is a two piece design. One part (the middle) is fixed to the compressor shaft. The outer part of it spins around the center freely until the clutch is engaged and is grooved for the belt to ride in/drive.

With the engine off, grab the middle part of the clutch and spin it. It should spin by hand. If it doesnt, your AC compressor it's locked up. If it does spin, check your low and high pressures and make sure they are within limits. You'll need an AC manifold gauge set for that.

Another option is to Data log it.
Im assuming I'm pulling off the belt to do this correct?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Critt3r
Im assuming I'm pulling off the belt to do this correct?
No, you can do this with the belt still on. With the car off the middle of the pulley should spin somewhat freely (this is also the forward side of the pulley). That's the part that is connected to the AC Compressor shaft, so it'll spin but it'll try and pump too and that's the resistance (little) you should feel. The outer part will be held by the belt and shouldn't spin unless the engine is spinning (or the belt is removed).

When you engage the AC an electromagnet will pull the inner part of the pulley axially towards the outer part of the pulley (they have an area that overlaps) and that will clutch together to allow the belt to drive the AC compressor. When the system is turned off, the electromagent will release the pull on the clutch (the middle of the pulley mounted to the input shaft of the compressor) allowing the belt to free wheel around the compressor. This is why deleting the AC does little for power improvement, the pulley is just free spinning with the AC off anyway. It's usually done for weight.

Watch this video to see how it all goes together.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Ac compressor questions