LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sticking throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Sticking throttle body

I bought a stock throttle body bored to 52mm from TPIS earlier this year and want to give it some attention. It's been working fine except I can't adjust the tps voltage any lower than 0.78 or else it will stick. I believe with throttle closed it should be closer to 0.6v. Is there an easy way to fix this or do I have to take it to a machine shop? I emailed TPIS and this was their response: "I would suggest setting the throttle blades where your IAC counts are correct and then slot the mounting the holes of the TPS to get your correct voltage."

Not sure what that means...
Old 11-16-2015, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you checked the throttle blades to see if its clean, it gets a lot of like carbon build up that could cause the blades to stick when closed.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

click the link "how to adjust TPS"..

https://www.golenengineservice.com/i...-tech-articles

the response from TPIS is saying to also confirm your IAC counts are correct at idle by adjusting the stop screw accordingly on the TB. They want to be 32 (30-35) at idle with engine warmed up, no AC on. you need a scan tool to read IAC counts

Then you "slot" the TPS holes so you can then "clock" the TPS so it reads .67vdc with blades closed and 4.5 vdc full open

with that said I have a stock 48 bored to 52 and my TPS mounts in its stock position and blades never stick. It is not a TPIS TB. I did this about 18 years ago IIRC it is a David Kudos (not positive on last name) TB so don't know if he does it

BTW, you need the PCM tuned for the new larger TB so tranny failure will not happen. Line pressure adjustments per TB position need adjustment in tune
Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Have you checked the throttle blades to see if its clean, it gets a lot of like carbon build up that could cause the blades to stick when closed.
Throttle body is nice and clean. Good to know for the future though

Originally Posted by ******
click the link "how to adjust TPS"..

https://www.golenengineservice.com/i...-tech-articles

the response from TPIS is saying to also confirm your IAC counts are correct at idle by adjusting the stop screw accordingly on the TB. They want to be 32 (30-35) at idle with engine warmed up, no AC on. you need a scan tool to read IAC counts

Then you "slot" the TPS holes so you can then "clock" the TPS so it reads .67vdc with blades closed and 4.5 vdc full open

with that said I have a stock 48 bored to 52 and my TPS mounts in its stock position and blades never stick. It is not a TPIS TB. I did this about 18 years ago IIRC it is a David Kudos (not positive on last name) TB so don't know if he does it

BTW, you need the PCM tuned for the new larger TB so tranny failure will not happen. Line pressure adjustments per TB position need adjustment in tune
This isn't a TPIS throttle body either. It's a stock throttle body that they bored and resold. I also tune with hptuners and have a T56 so everything's dialed in, just want the tps voltage lower. Thanks for that Golen link. I didn't even think to make the TPS mounting holes larger for adjustment. I'll get on that asap!

Quick Reply: Sticking throttle body