LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carbed LT1, What Next????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carbed LT1, What Next????

well guys I just built this carbed lt1 in my 1997 Camaro A4 and i can say that it dosent hold up to what it used to do when the car was stock bore stock intake with the CC503 cam now i now that a lot is timing and carb adjustments i just think that efi is the way to go I'm looking into getting a fast efi system possible one of the square bore throttle bodys that bolt on in place of carb but also had the idea of using my old intake (stock) and using it to run something made by fast now i have removed the pcm and have everything working standalone so no factory wire as far as ecm, trans, motor, etc so something designed to slice into factory harness would be rather useless to me. what would you guys suggest?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Microsquirt Gold box
Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Default ??????

umm you lost me on that maybe some more info
Old 04-27-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a complexity to a carb system that many have a hard time with. Tuning a carb and getting it "right" is a lost art these days. Power to power comparison, efi and carb are very similar. I run a carb LT1 and wouldn't ever change it. So ds like it just needs some tlc and know-how
Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Lt1Porche i got a lt1 with stock heads with a CC503 cam Comp Beehive springs and Comp gold 1.6 roller rockers, block is bored to .40 with stock lower end rebuilt with remaned parts from BluePrint Engines (rods and crank) pistons are new flat tops have pace setter longtubes and y pipe to a series 80 flowmaster im running remaned water pump with a restrictor washer car runs 165-185 on normal day now i have also a Chevrolet performance lt1 carb intake with a edelbrock 600cfm carb i have it set to idle around 800-850 in gear it sounds good it just dont have to spunk this car had when it was fuel injected with stock parts? besides tuning carb do you have any other suggestions
Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junkyard LS swap! Probably cheaper and certainly make more power than a fast EFI FI setup on a stockish LT1 (which was already fuel injected to start )
Old 04-29-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's your timing set at? Base and at 4000 rpms? Do you know how your secondaries are setup? What jets? Exactly which carb do you have? Also edelbrock are AFBs which have vacuum secondaries which have always felt sluggish on WOT until vacuum drops and the carb can recover. Never liked them. They are better for street driving but are inconsistent on the dyno and the drag strip. IMO that's where your butt dyno is feeling the loss. Carb tuning and timing is very very important. I've had cars dyno up to 50whp less with a bad tune up. Now if you do decide to go back to EFI. I recommend the Fast efi. Just drop it in place of that edelbrock and go.

Quick Reply: Carbed LT1, What Next????