LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 trans am

Hey guys, about 2 months back I bought this car and it ran perfect. I recently bought headers, NGK tr55 plugs, Jegs brand 8.5 mm wires, and erg delete kit. When I did the headers I did all of that also. When I got everything done I crunk it and it's has a bad miss. It misses at all time and the idle is fluctuating and backfires. I've tried taking the plugs out making sure right gap again and made sure all the plugs are seated and running to the right cylinders. I just changed the ignition coil yesterday and two days before that I changed the 02's. I ordered some more Taylor thunder volt 8.2 wires because the Jegs are the cheap thing that I have bought out of this whole deal and I hoping the wires are just bad. I have no idea what it is and I just don't want to keep guessing. Also it's not throwing any codes. Please help.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyawn
Hey guys, about 2 months back I bought this car and it ran perfect. I recently bought headers, NGK tr55 plugs, Jegs brand 8.5 mm wires, and erg delete kit. When I did the headers I did all of that also. When I got everything done I crunk it and it's has a bad miss. It misses at all time and the idle is fluctuating and backfires. I've tried taking the plugs out making sure right gap again and made sure all the plugs are seated and running to the right cylinders. I just changed the ignition coil yesterday and two days before that I changed the 02's. I ordered some more Taylor thunder volt 8.2 wires because the Jegs are the cheap thing that I have bought out of this whole deal and I hoping the wires are just bad. I have no idea what it is and I just don't want to keep guessing. Also it's not throwing any codes. Please help.
Check to see if wires are crossed. Also I had a problem running a bigger size wire than stock because they won't fit in those GD stock retainers, so one busted out like the button off your ex wife's pants and got ate up by the belt while the car was running and caused a horrible miss...
Also contrary to anyone's belief of gaining HP with bigger spark plug wires is silly, there is just no reason to run bigger wires unless you ARE making more power than stock, like a lot more than stock. Get some factory size wires. You should also check your motor mounts to make sure the new headers (I'm assuming long tubes) haven't made the motor sag and cause a very sensitive false knock related issue. And also, make sure no wires are burnt up/touching/arching against the headers.

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 04-23-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Teching In

I never thought of the mounts. I'll be sure to check that. The only reason I got bigger wires is because of the protective layer because that's the only thing going bigger than 7mm gives you is a thicker layer. I have already ordered new ones and if neither of that helps do you have any other ideas. The only reason I'm not leaning or wanting to say the opti is because it was parked for a few days while doing the headers and idk why it would go bad then. The weird thing is like the miss didn't just come up or anything. As soon as I crunk it for the first time it was missing horrible.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Teching In

I never thought of the mounts. I'll be sure to check that. The only reason I got bigger wires is because of the protective layer because that's the only thing going bigger than 7mm gives you is a thicker layer. I have already ordered new ones and if neither of that helps do you have any other ideas. The only reason I'm not leaning or wanting to say the opti is because it was parked for a few days while doing the headers and idk why it would go bad then. The weird thing is like the miss didn't just come up or anything. As soon as I crunk it for the first time it was missing horrible.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

8.5mm wires fit in the stock wire looms. Have in mine.

OP, given you did plugs/wires I suspect you have one or more wires crossed so REALLY check again. Use dialectic grease on both plug & opti ends

You really need to be diligent in routing the wires as they are stock in all the brackets & looms so they don't lay against headers or catch on some spinning part
Old 04-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Teching In

My new wires come in Tuesday. Driver side is pretty straight forward on routing and keeping them away from the headers which I've done with the ones I have. Pass side is straight forward to but kinda difficult to get them in the stock holders like you said and to run them like they were. And I have a diagram that tells me which cylinder goes to which port on opti. I will post it to show.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wire crossed was my first thought, mainly because we did that when we did Pace setters on a friends Z28 a long time ago.

Quick Reply: 93 trans am