LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pcmforless tune made my car slower

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bryan bought lunch when I had mine dynoed with him in PA. Very friendly throughout and willing to answer any questions I had.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Ed Wright at FASTChip. He does the best tunes around for LTx motors. My local tech was a student of Ed's when he attended GM tech training some years ago. He tells me Ed was GM's LTx tune guru for a number of years. Ed has done several mail tunes for my 383 when I've swapped cams ... never a problem.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've always wanted to believe good things about any LTx oriented business that has a presence in my state. The mail order stuff goes to Ohio, but PCM4L has a dyno shop in NC and I've thought about checking out their place on the way to/ from Charlotte. Of the two LT1 F-bodies I have, only one needed a full dyno tune and it was taken care of by another outfit in central NC (not RPM, though have only heard good things about them previously). Very happy with that car.

The other has a mail order tune, for which I originally spent $175.00. Simple stock A4 with headers and true duals, Moroso CAI. Was looking for slight improvement over stock, !EGR, !AIR. I discovered a mechanical mismatch of the transmission after I received the tune so I needed a 95 calibration loaded to add PWM tables for the 95 transmission. I ran the extra wire from PCM to case connector and sent the PCM back off for a reload with 95 code, everything else the same, for which I paid an additional $75.00. At the time, I thought it was totally fair, I was given what I asked for originally. After getting the re-flash back I still had DTC code 84, no TCC lockup, no OD, 3rd gear starts. Car goes to mothballs for a couple years, I dig it out last week after moving to where I can work on it. I pulled the tune and it's still a 94 calibration. I has PWM stuff written to it, which is ignored as empty space on the chip by a 94 calibration. Also, the !EGR and !AIR stuff was only set to not throw a code instead of actually setting values to disable. So I didn't get what I paid for the 2nd time, and only partially the 1st time. Is it worth trying to deal with the tuner again? I decided not, though I could use $75.00 right now, lol.

I acquired a stock 95 A4/GU2 calibration from the site of someone who has done a lot to help the LTx community. I disabled the EGR and AIR and did the O2 relocation myself and am ready to load this appropriate calibration to my PCM. Doing as much of my own stuff as I can from here on.

Quick Reply: pcmforless tune made my car slower