LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ran like crap...then ran great. Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ran like crap...then ran great. Opti?

Okay I have noticed that on random occasions on the interstate, if I floor it while cruising, the engine would chug and buck pretty bad just like running on three cylinders. Normal NON WOT felt perfectly fine. Then on down the road, the issue was totally gone.

It just shows up randomly. I just dont understand how you can go from running like total **** to running perfect.

Opti?
Fuel pump?
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I developed a miss only under a high load at WOT(flooring it in 6th). Ended up being plug wires. It was just a single miss though....not dropping multiple cylinders.

The easy bet would be opti, but it could be other issues too. Looking around with a scope at the signals might help you track it down, but you may have to wait until it happens a little more constantly to catch it. Intermittents can be a b!&*^ to track down.

Have a look at ScannerDanner's youtube channel on tracking down misfires(Automotive Instructor and ASE Master Tech). Lots of good stuff on his channel. Dude knows what he is doing.

Last edited by ACE1252; 11-21-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does your check engine light work? Mine always threw a CEL for high or low res codes unless it was a burnt/cracked plug/wire. Based on my experience, a pump/voltage issue will just start getting worse until the car is shut down for a few hours. After that it may run normally but the problem will come right back but even faster than before. I would probably replace the fuel filter and check the sock on the pump for obstructions then slap a pressure gauge on there to monitor. Eventually age caught up with my car so I had a new harness made and rewired the fuel pump with something a little beefier and there have been 0 issues of any kind that were not the result of my own stupidity.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine had similar issues, and I found 2 problems. 1 was the ground strap by the coil was touching the coil wire and arcing. The other was the CCV tube was cracked and open sucking fresh unmetered air. Does it act differently if you drive it in the rain? If it acts worse in the rain I would look at wires and grounds causing arcing.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

No on the CEL light.

Not sure if OBD1 has CCV but rather a PCV. Will check for intake leaks.

Yes I will resistance check the plug wires. Might be good to go ahead and replace. Anyone making QUALITY OVC wires these days?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Taylor wires are a huge bang for the buck in my experience, nothing fancy but great wrap and really tough core.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

All of them have a CCV on the passenger valve cover that gets fresh air from the throttle body then that goes through the crank case and through the PCV to the intake manifold to burn off crankcase gasses. If the CCV is working fine, the air it gets is after the MAF so it's metered, if it's cracked it lets unmetered air into the intake and your PCM hasn't compensated for that air, causing it to run like crap sometimes.

Quick Reply: Ran like crap...then ran great. Opti?