LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Baby cam for 383

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
OK. I saw where you have about 11.5:1 compression; didn't notice this before. Would you happen to know what your quench is?

IMO, that much compression will require a bit MORE duration versus less duration; you'll want to bring your Dynamic Compression Ratio down a bit from where it is.

I would consider a cam in the 230*/234* range with a 112* to 114* + 4* LSA.

This will result in a bit more overlap (about 5* to 8*).....but really, it ain't the overlap that's causing your issues. The cam in my 398ci has 18* overlap and I don't get anything like what you describe.

You either have an ignition/detonation issue, or a bad tune. Did the two professional tuners do work via mail order, or did they actually road-tune your car? If they didn't road-tune it, then you need to have that done. If they did road-tune the car, then you most issues outside of the tune.

KW
No idea what my quench is, sorry. With the overlap, doesn't that cause bucking by effectively pushing some of the exhaust gas into the intake every time the intake valve starts to open (exhaust is pressurized and intake has a vacuum so the path of least resistance is the intake once the intake valve starts to open). With such high compression, you're effectively pushing more exhaust into the intake than you would with lower compression. At high load high rpm this doesn't really matter much but at low load low rpm where the cylinder charge is small and the vacuum in the intake is high, it might be enough to dilute the cylinder charge to the point where it doesn't always fire properly.

I still don't think it's ignition/detonation because the behavior didn't change at all going from stock to 24x, and adjusting spark with hptuners doesn't make any difference to the way it feels either (until I start going below about 30 degrees then it gradually feels worse).

Up in Washington there are two tuners I've been able to find with good reputations. One is Thomas Wong in Vancouver who put it on his mustang dyno. The other is Ellis Groo who's on this board (his name is toofast4luv or something like that) and he did a ride along with me. He wasn't able to change it with hptuners either and thought I had bad rings. After I got home I did compression and leak down tests and found out they were fine, 88/90 psi on the leak down for all 8 and 185-205 psi for the compression.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Don't install gears until you select a cam, get it on the dyno and find out where power peak is. BTW, as far as the 211/219 goes, I forgot to mention, even though it's a good cam and was initially designed for a 383, the profile was meant to pass smog in a CARB engine that was legal for sale in all states. It was meant as a boost in power while pretty much keeping the stock power curve while making more power and torque. I ran the cam for years, but there have been lots of changes since then. Just FYI.
I agree, good sounding cam but I want to take advantage of whatever progress has happened since.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
......With the overlap, doesn't that cause bucking by effectively pushing some of the exhaust gas into the intake every time the intake valve starts to open (exhaust is pressurized and intake has a vacuum so the path of least resistance is the intake once the intake valve starts to open). With such high compression, you're effectively pushing more exhaust into the intake than you would with lower compression. At high load high rpm this doesn't really matter much but at low load low rpm where the cylinder charge is small and the vacuum in the intake is high, it might be enough to dilute the cylinder charge to the point where it doesn't always fire properly......
That looks like a copy/paste paragraph, there.

I'm not gonna dispute the general theme of that paragraph, but having had nine different cams in LT1/4 engines from 350ci to 398ci, I'm just telling you what I've experienced. And in my experience, a 3* overlap cam like the CC-503 shouldn't come close to making a jumpy engine; even with just an OK mail-order tune......let alone an 'on the road-tune'.

Like I said, if it ain't the tune (and I'd bet a dollar that it ain't) then it's something more 'mechanical' in nature.....something within the engine, itself.

.......I still don't think it's ignition/detonation because the behavior didn't change at all going from stock to 24x, and adjusting spark with hptuners doesn't make any difference to the way it feels either (until I start going below about 30 degrees then it gradually feels worse).....
OK....but something in your power-train isn't acting as it should.....and I'm highly doubtful that you'll fix it with a different cam or another tune.

KW
Old 12-16-2016, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've got a t56 with 3.73 gears
does your bucking occur regardless of what gear you are in as long as you re at the 1800-2000ish RPM range?

Or just in 6th cruising at hwy speeds (65mph)?

if the later than stay in 5th....or get 4:10's
Old 12-16-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ******
does your bucking occur regardless of what gear you are in as long as you re at the 1800-2000ish RPM range?

Exactly, you're in the lugging range. 4:10 will give you 200 more rpm at that speed and 4:33 another 300 rpm.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Like I said, if it ain't the tune (and I'd bet a dollar that it ain't) then it's something more 'mechanical' in nature.....something within the engine, itself.

OK....but something in your power-train isn't acting as it should.....and I'm highly doubtful that you'll fix it with a different cam or another tune.

KW
Any ideas? I asked Ellis if it could be in the valve train and he said no it didn't feel right. The timing gears and chain looked ok when I did 24x. The rings are good.

It happens at slower speeds in the lower gears. At around 65mph it finally starts to clear up and is gone by 70mph unless I'm going downhill at 2% throttle. 70mph is 1800rpm and 65 is about 1600rpm.

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Exactly, you're in the lugging range. 4:10 will give you 200 more rpm at that speed and 4:33 another 300 rpm.
I don't want to have to cruise around above 2000 though. I tried that for a while and didn't like the mpg hit and extra noise (it was cool at first).
Old 12-16-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't want to have to cruise around above 2000 though. I tried that for a while and didn't like the mpg hit and extra noise (it was cool at first).
FWIW with my 4:10's and a 27" tire at 80 MPH I am 19xx RPM at 80 MPH. I don't even shift into 6th unless I am going over 65 MPH

I think if you are in 6th with the 3:73's say around 65 mph you would be "lugging" the motor some. IDK what tire size you have. But lugging the motor with a cam might contribute or cause your bucking issue as if I understand correctly the issue is at any speed when RPMs are around 1500-1800???

That was why I was asking gear ratio
Old 12-16-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Per your requirements I'd just go with the LPE 211/219.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:36 AM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

FWIW with my 4:10's and a 27" tire at 80 MPH I am 19xx RPM at 80 MPH. I don't even shift into 6th unless I am going over 65 MPH

I think if you are in 6th with the 3:73's say around 65 mph you would be "lugging" the motor some. IDK what tire size you have. But lugging the motor with a cam might contribute or cause your bucking issue as if I understand correctly the issue is at any speed when RPMs are around 1500-1800???

That was why I was asking gear ratio
Gotcha. Yeah 65mph in 6th could easily be considered lugging the way it behaves. I typically stay in 5th until around 65+ too. At 1800 though the torque feels pretty good and I don't think I'd consider it lugging especially at the lower speeds.

Yes the bucking happens in any gear below 2000 (except 6th at 70mph) and even above 2000 at exceptionally light loads.

My tires are 275/40R17 I believe.

I think you're right and people on the forums absolutely loved it. I'm turned off a little because 1. it's over 20 years old and 2. it's expensive. The LPE cam is $350 while the Comp 466 is $280.

Last edited by AdsoYo; 12-17-2016 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Just for reference, at 65 mph you are at 2000 rpm with the 3:73. At 71 mph you are 2200. This is the actual rpm, not what your tach says.
4:10's at 65 would run 2200 rpm.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Just for reference, at 65 mph you are at 2000 rpm with the 3:73. At 71 mph you are 2200. This is the actual rpm, not what your tach says.
4:10's at 65 would run 2200 rpm.
Using this calculator, I get 1,567 rpm at 65 mph and 1,711 rpm at 71 which is also what my tach and hptuners show.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/calc-rpm.php
Old 12-17-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Ok the .5 OD. You are just loping down the highway.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

.......I think you're right and people on the forums absolutely loved it.......
No matter how many OTHER people like this cam, you're running way too much compression for it to work on your set-up.

You need at least 224* intake duration for your set-up.

KW
Old 12-18-2016, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Ok the .5 OD. You are just loping down the highway.
In any case I'd rather adjust my cam to my driving style instead of adjust my driving style to the cam.

No matter how many OTHER people like this cam, you're running way too much compression for it to work on your set-up.

You need at least 224* intake duration for your set-up.

KW
Why's that? What happens when you run low duration with high compression?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

In any case I'd rather adjust my cam to my driving style instead of adjust my driving style to the cam.

Why's that? What happens when you run low duration with high compression?
You are just sacrificing power and choking a 383 by doing that. I wouldn't be afraid to spin it higher. It's the nature of the beast.

Going to a smaller cam would increase the DCR... Going beyond 9:1 will make it more likely to ping. The baby cc304 (close to LPE 211/219) in my Buick with stock shortblock and 11:1 SCR has a DCR 9.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is it possible that the plug heat range could be causing some kind of issue?

I think I'm running the stock heat range in my machine. I know I have a bump in compression ratio compared to stock as both my heads have had a service deck. I just to don't know by how much.

I've looked over his tune several months ago and didn't see anything really crazy going on....but I'm certainly no professional tuner.

I've got tip in bucking off idle at very, very, light throttle, but no issues anywhere else with the CC503. Crusing speed mirrors the stock cam in driveability.

With the 24x, your EGR is tuned out right? Is the EGR on the manifold blocked off or does it have an actual EGR valve still on it?

Last edited by ACE1252; 12-18-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Is it possible that the plug heat range could be causing some kind of issue?

I think I'm running the stock heat range in my machine. I know I have a bump in compression ratio compared to stock as both my heads have had a service deck. I just to don't know by how much.

I've looked over his tune several months ago and didn't see anything really crazy going on....but I'm certainly no professional tuner.

I've got tip in bucking off idle at very, very, light throttle, but no issues anywhere else with the CC503. Crusing speed mirrors the stock cam in driveability.

With the 24x, your EGR is tuned out right? Is the EGR on the manifold blocked off or does it have an actual EGR valve still on it?
I've tried a couple different heat ranges that didn't make a difference. Yes the EGR is tuned out and blocked off.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
You are just sacrificing power and choking a 383 by doing that. I wouldn't be afraid to spin it higher. It's the nature of the beast.
There are restrictions at higher RPM compared, but the cam was designed for those in mind who wanted instant torque, which in a 383, could peak in the 400rwtq and still get high 20mpg fuel efficiency as well as pass emissions. It just depends on what an individual wants.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SS RRR
There are restrictions at higher RPM compared, but the cam was designed for those in mind who wanted instant torque, which in a 383, could peak in the 400rwtq and still get high 20mpg fuel efficiency as well as pass emissions. It just depends on what an individual wants.
I meant spin higher as in cruising RPM range. I usually keep mine between 2k-2.5k when driving around and am turning 2.4k in 5th at 65 mph. I avoid 6th really isn't very useful without breaking the speed limit. I have no problem getting low 20's mpg on the highway on an AFR headed 383 with LE 226/239 and my current tune is somewhat half-assed.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah I drove around like that for a summer and didn't like it. At this point I've spoken with Phil @ AI, Chad Golen, and Lloyd.

Like I said earlier, Phil thinks I should take it to a shop and have my sensor outputs checked (even though I told him I ruled out all the sensors already) otherwise get a hot cam if I want a smaller cam. I felt dismissed honestly.

Chad and I spent some time on the phone and strongly suspects the tune. He thinks I should find a local pro who's willing to spend hours with the car getting everything just right. I disagree, I think that I've tried every possible combination of variables over the course of these last 2 years and there's nothing left to try in the tune. Plus no one like that exists in Oregon. He said if I want less cam then the Comp 466 is a good choice.

Lloyd basically said he understands where I'm coming from and suggested a 219/227 .549/.565 114 LSA cam. More low end, less top end, no overlap, 9:1 dynamic compression (although after searching that term, it sounds like it's relevance is questionable). Seems like a great guy so I'll continue to email him and see where we end up.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

....At this point I've spoken with Phil @ AI............Like I said earlier, Phil thinks I should take it to a shop and have my sensor outputs checked (even though I told him I ruled out all the sensors already) otherwise get a hot cam if I want a smaller cam.

I felt dismissed honestly.......
Yeah. The 'word' is that Phil can be a bit short if you call and he feels that you don't know exactly what (product-wise) you want from him.....

............9:1 dynamic compression (although after searching that term, it sounds like it's relevance is questionable).......
It's only questionable until you blow-up your under-performing engine.

But it DOES become less relevant the closer you get to optimizing your quench......

KW

Quick Reply: Baby cam for 383