LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What are your thoughts on the "Built vs Bought" convo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's dumb... I get the point of it though
Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get both view points seeing as I have also somewhat done both. If you have the skill and time, then building a car is a great option. If you lack the skill or time, well then having a car built is also fine as well. I will always give more credit to the person who put in the wrench time over someone who opened their wallet. However, the person that opens their wallet likely (not always) had to work hard for that $$. There is a level of respect there as well.

My Firebird build(s) have been an experience I would never replace. They were not easy and I learned way more than I thought I would. Spent a lot more than I thought I would too.... I also made some amazing friends who I consider family. I take pride in telling the story and sharing the lessons learned.

When it came time to replace my G8 GT daily driver, I decided to pick up a Hellcat Charger. Sure I could have built my G8 to be a hellcat killer but I honestly didn't want another project of any major level. The result would have been pretty fun but knowing me, I would have gone way overboard. I liked the fact that I could pick up a new car with a full warranty and should it break, the dealer needs to deal with it. I may change my mind next time around since I do like modding my cars but my time is limited these days.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent years looking for my Chevy II - chose the engine tranny sourced interior parts rear end front clip you name it and had someone else install it over the course of a year.
I dont consider myself wealthy but Im not on a budget either. I had a bad azz car put together to my specs because I worked my tail off in my professional life to be able to pay someone else to do it - i justify it by contributing to their shop, their workers and hopefully their families.
I know a lot about cars, but I don;t know everything - I don't have the space, time, or know-how to build everything myself - I do what I can but I don't think theres anything wrong with having it done right, faster, and injecting $$$ into your local economy.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought mine with the engine already built, as I do not have the skill to tear down and rebuild engines. I have been fixing and adding everything else because the kid I bought it from was steadily destroying the interior/exterior with any thing he could think of. He bought the car with 5K miles a few years ago and I honestly saved that cars life. Replacing all the interior he mangled was a hit on the wallet itself**

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the "Built vs Bought" convo?