LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake sitting too low?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake sitting too low?

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but wanted to see if anyone else has seen it.

Mocked up my intake manifold to cylinder heads on the engine last night and the runners on the intake sit about 1/4" lower than the runners on the heads. Low enough you can see the gasket and it hits a nice ledge. You can also see that the top of the intake runner sits about 1/4" lower than the head.

I will try to get a pic tonight of the camera screen so you can see.

Heads are AI 212* Trickflow's with a fully ported AI manifold, fully history on them is unknown, I only had them cleaned up .005" for install.

My guess is intake/heads/block are all machined too far (stacked tolerances) and just isn't going to work with this setup as a factory manifold's runners line up perfect, but the bolt holes do not. I just do not want to have it ported/machined to fit and end up with the same issue.

If anyone has a work around for this that would be great, thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Typically when the block has been decked and the heads have been milled the intake will sit higher. The intake would need to be milled on the side and end rails to match.

If your intake is sitting low, it sounds like maybe it already has been milled? 1/4" also sounds like a pretty big difference.

One trick I did to check mine out was to use some washers that were the same thickness as the intake manifold gaskets. You can use the washers as spacers instead of the gaskets so you can get a better look at how the ports line up and not have the gasket in the way. A flashlight and one of those small auto parts store mirrors with the pivoting head works pretty good for checking out all of the ports.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

I actually have a color camera that lets me get in there pretty good.

I may try the washers just to get the gasket out of the way, but I'm coming to the realization the intake just isn't going to work with this setup.

Quick Reply: Intake sitting too low?