LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1997 LT1 Missing under 2500 rpm & stalling at rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1997 LT1 Missing under 2500 rpm & stalling at rpm

Currently my LT1 A4 (75K) is missing at revs under 2500 rpm and stalls once and while if sitting for prolonged periods at a stop light. I noticed this after I had a TCI 3000 stall put in, along with a new tranny and some other goodies. The car slightly missed before (barely,barely noticable), but now it was running like crap and stalling lots, since the tranny install. I then had a tuneup (new plugs, fuel injection clean, fuel filter, egr) done at a GM dealership. The car does run a lot better, but there is still a slight miss under 2500 rpm. The car now does not stall until it is really warm and has sat idling in drive for a couple of minutes, then it will then start to surge and then stall. The funny thing is it will not stall with the air conditioning on. Also, I took it through a drive thru car wash recently and had the undercarriage washed, right after the car ran terribly and gave me a P0103 MAF Sensor High Frequency code as well as a P0300 engine misfire code. Once the car dried out it was fine, this has happened to me before in really wet conditions. Yet GM indicated to me that they sprayed the distributor with a pressure washer directly and it would not act up. GM advised that I should replace my optispark distrubutor with a new one, since it has been a major problem in LT1's. They quoted me a price of $550.00 for just the distributor, when you can get it at jegs or summit for half the price. I went and got a second opinion and they told me that the first cylinder may have low compression because it was not burning as hot as the other out of the headers (this shop has an infared gun) and told me I had lots of spark and the fuel injection system was fine. Yet GM said nothing at all about this cylinder, just that 2 of the injectors were slightly plugged on 2 & 6 before they performed the fuel injector clean. Also my oil is clean,my anti-freeze is fine and I haven't noticed a dropp in power. The bills are starting to add up, and I am really picky about my car and want it running perfectly and cheaply. I am thinking about putting new wires and a new distributor on as my next step. Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Kinda odd that it would do it w/o a/c on and won't with it on. Seems like it would be the other way around. Based on that alone, sounds like something in the wiring because turning on a/c would create a variance in the electrical system. Might try examining the wiring on your coil/ignition module or the short harness on the opti.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Kinda odd that it would do it w/o a/c on and won't with it on. Seems like it would be the other way around. Based on that alone, sounds like something in the wiring because turning on a/c would create a variance in the electrical system. Might try examining the wiring on your coil/ignition module or the short harness on the opti.

I assumed both of these places would of done that, but you never know. It still misses with the a/c on it just doesn't stall.

Quick Reply: 1997 LT1 Missing under 2500 rpm & stalling at rpm