LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do you remove LT1 Balancer Hub???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you remove LT1 Balancer Hub???

Can somebody please help!!!!! I don't know how to remove the crank or balancer hub I've tried using the old Chevy harmonic balancer puller and had no success. I've tried other ways and gave up. Any help on how to remove the balancer hub would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, 1sicss
Old 09-03-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

I've had really good luck using a "3-claw" style puller then using the crank bolt so just gradually push on and walk it out.. more or less loosen the crank bolt a 1/4" or so, then use that bolt to push w/ the puller against it. if thats not going to budge then i'd suggest a little heat, just becareful not to get the flame towards the timming cover it might melt the gasket/seals.

goold luck
Old 09-03-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

If you take the bolt completely out then you will just be pushing against itself. One of my friends broke off an "ear" trying this! Be sure to leave it in there, threaded a couple times to keep it from stripping out.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

i take out the 3 bolts, and use a soft hammer and hammer on the backside (closest to the engine) to get it loose, then before installing it i clean the hub and use some anti seize to help get it off the next time.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
i take out the 3 bolts, and use a soft hammer and hammer on the backside (closest to the engine) to get it loose, then before installing it i clean the hub and use some anti seize to help get it off the next time.
Some dissagree with this method being it is hard jarring on the crank bearings.

I say get an extra crank bolt that is longer and screw it a few turns and pull off with the puller that way.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Some dissagree with this method being it is hard jarring on the crank bearings.

I say get an extra crank bolt that is longer and screw it a few turns and pull off with the puller that way.
ive used the method on both my Z28's with no problems, now ive watched people use pullers to remove the hubs and they either break something or ruin the puller. i feel taping the balancer gently while rotating is the easiest route for me!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
ive used the method on both my Z28's with no problems, now ive watched people use pullers to remove the hubs and they either break something or ruin the puller. i feel taping the balancer gently while rotating is the easiest route for me!
There would have been no way to get mine off with gently tapping. I guess it really depends on the hub from the factory.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I use a long smaller diameter bolt put though the center of the crank and push on it that way, works great for me.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did one about a year ago and I think I put an old extention into the crank snout. Worked great for pulling it off. Putting it back on is the part that sucks.

Quick Reply: How do you remove LT1 Balancer Hub???