LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

does msd box replace optispark??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default does msd box replace optispark??

im new to lt1 coming from ls1, so the optispark is new to me. what exactly is the optispark system?? and does the msd ignition box replace it with a different kinda spark system??
Old 09-08-2005, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Raise
im new to lt1 coming from ls1, so the optispark is new to me. what exactly is the optispark system?? and does the msd ignition box replace it with a different kinda spark system??
No, i wish. you may not have any trouble out of the opticrap system. but a lot of people do and those that do often have a lot of trouble. i am about to install my 6th disrtiputor. MSD will give you a better spark, and make the care run smoother, and is about to release a cap and rotor kit that is much better than the stock one. the F**kers keep pushing the release date back though. in order to replace the opti in the optispark you will need a conversion kit. there are 2 out there. one is uses the LS1 coils that are not included in the kit so it is more expensive, i think it is LTCC or something like that.
the other i can't remember right now which is embarassing because i plan on getting it myself. it is about 600 and change and is totally plug and play. everthing comes in the kit and it is based on the north star iginition system. someone help me on the name of the other kit. if i was at work i could even add a link to the site that sells them.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Launching!

I believe one of those systems is called "OptiDirect"
Old 09-08-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quick93transam
No, i wish. you may not have any trouble out of the opticrap system. but a lot of people do and those that do often have a lot of trouble. i am about to install my 6th disrtiputor. MSD will give you a better spark, and make the care run smoother, and is about to release a cap and rotor kit that is much better than the stock one. the F**kers keep pushing the release date back though. in order to replace the opti in the optispark you will need a conversion kit. there are 2 out there. one is uses the LS1 coils that are not included in the kit so it is more expensive, i think it is LTCC or something like that.
the other i can't remember right now which is embarassing because i plan on getting it myself. it is about 600 and change and is totally plug and play. everthing comes in the kit and it is based on the north star iginition system. someone help me on the name of the other kit. if i was at work i could even add a link to the site that sells them.
will this conversion kit get rid of the distributor and all that old school ****??
Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok....if you are on your 6th opti, I think you have an underlying problem somewhere. I ran my stock opti until 120K miles and the only reason I changed it was when the 383 build went in. Everything else was new, why not the opti to. I have had zero problems out of the new one also.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:04 AM
Launching!

will this conversion kit get rid of the distributor and all that old school ****??
No, I belive the old distributer will still be there, just not giving any spark.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think there is much need for aftermarket distributor unless your going with power adders.
I dont even notice a difference in mine since i took off my MSD digital 6

Like said before my opti lasted to 90K and i took it off because i thought it died. It was not however even that , so i replaced it for no reason.

I say there is a lot better things to spend your money on then an aftermarket dis.

Some have had good and bad luck with the kits to eliminate the Cap and rotor part of the opti. ( They still use the Optical sensor in opti)
Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about the Dynaspark system? It's just a replacement opti I know, but it's built from billet Al and supposidly takes all of the opti's weak points and fixes them. Personaly, I'd rather go with something like that, because it's a bolt-in deal that I would imagine has fewer inherent problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

well i dont even have my car yet, but all i hear is bad **** about the optispark. im just scared to death of having an ignition system thats so freakin vulnerable and water intolerant. how the hell do u keep this thing safe??
Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Dynaspark is waterproof I know, and I would imagine that the MSD replacement will be as well, whenever they decide to bring it out!
Old 09-09-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i dont even have my car yet, but all i hear is bad **** about the optispark. im just scared to death of having an ignition system thats so freakin vulnerable and water intolerant. how the hell do u keep this thing safe??
Just leave it alone. If your really paranoid about it, get a new water pump. Has the opti been changed before?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Relax it mostly a bunch of crap. The main thing is dont drive in deep water. Dont change your water pump and spill water everywhere on opti. Dont spray wash your engine. Be carefull bleeding coollant system.

Example when houston got pounded by Allison, we were all underwater. I was driving my car in deep water (not by choice(got caught in the storm). It ran fine untill it got up to the stepboards on the car. I wound up pushing my car up into a taller area.

The opti is a lot tougher than most people think.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

how would getting a new water pump help prevent problems with the optispark??
Old 09-09-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

how would getting a new water pump help prevent problems with the optispark??
It wont but when they go bad they are known to leak out the bottom weep hole and onto your opti. I replaced my opti when I had thought it went bad only to find out my water pump went bad right after putting it back together.

Talk about bad luck. Another thing that might have made my waterpump bite the dust was that i let it sit and dry out for a while while i was doing my cam swap.

So a lot of people just change it at the same time.

Quick Reply: does msd box replace optispark??