LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aluminum Flywheel- pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum Flywheel- pros and cons

I have a 94 Z28 that Im building the engine for, Its a .030 over, Eagle forged stock stroke crank, Eagle forged I beams, JE flat top pistons, massively ported heads, and probably an LT4 HOT cam, although Im not positive at this time. It will have 4.10 rear end gears, and, hopefully, will be quite a bit lighter than factory. I will also be running a 150 shot of nitrous. The cars main use will be cruising on weekends, and racing. I want the car to be fairly streetable, but it doesnt have to be factory-like, if that makes any sense at all. I was considering an aluminum flywheel, and I was wondering if this would cause any drivability issues.. I dont wanna get the car so "racy" that I dont enjoy driving it on the street anymore, I want the best of both worlds. If I did go with an aluminum flywheel, what are some good brands? thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Do a search on aluminum flywheels, you'll find quite a bit of info. Bottom line is alum is great for Roadracing vs Dragracing from everything I've read. I have a brand new alum McLeod FW for my new build, I wanted a steel FW, should have just waited and ordered what I wanted but rushed myself and now I want to sell it and get the billet steel.

Anyway steel is good for launching these pig fat fbodies off the line, better 60' times translate to quicker 1/4 ETs, alum spins up faster great for light car drag racing & roadracing.

Last edited by BRETTINATOR; 04-05-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Fidanza and SPEC have some really good ones, the aluminum will handle the power you put to it. Plus less weight on the reciprocating motion means RPM up quicker. Also check out billett steel it is not bad either.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought mine, a tech @ SPEC put it this way:
Heavy car, at or under 400rwhp, heavy (steel) flywheel.
Over 400rwhp, the lightweight flywheel wont hurt you as much down low.
In a lightened F-body (like 3200lb or less) the aluminum flywheel would be a better choice.
No matter what the car weighs or makes for power, you'll notice its harder to get the car moving from a dead stop. It'll be easy to stall the motor out.
With our heavy cars, the heavy flywheel makes it easier to get moving and really hits harder when you let out the clutch.
I bought a spec billet steel flywheel back when I did the m6 swap. At the time, the car only made 360ish to the wheels through an automatic, and my car weighed in at just over 3600lbs. I loved it then, and hopefully will still love it with the new motor.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help, guys. Ill do some more research and let you know what i come up with.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Flywheel- pros and cons