LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removal and installation of LT1 Harmonic Dampner, and crank hub

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal and installation of LT1 Harmonic Dampner, and crank hub

Anyone know where I can get a Kent-Moore or other tool, for removing the Harmonic balancer, and crank hub on my 95 LT1 ? This motor is going in a Early C4 corvette, and I need to change the offset for all the acc. A standard SBC puller will not work, and thats what all the clowns at AutoZone,Advanced and SDPC are trying to sell me. GM aparently does not make somthing I need for this either. I know this has been done before.....Any thoughts??

thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just use the regular pulley remover. It removes the harmonic balancer just fine and when it's time to pull the hub you can just remove the bolt inside the hub and put a 6" long 1/4 inch extension down in the hole and put the tip of the remover in the 1/4" hole of the extension and have it push on that and pull on the feet of the hub. Shouldn't need anything special for the job. It will seem like the hub is not moving, but keep turning, it will come off.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The actual J-tool # is J39046. I purchased the tool to install the hub on my car. I ran into issues one time trying to get the hub back on. I don't like run the bolt up method, you can mess the threads up in the crank. I will have this car a long time, so it will come in handy. I have already used it many a times. It's not cheap, about $200 bux when I bought it about 5 yrs. ago. I am sure there are other ways to get the hub on, but i would rather get it on without the possiblity of damaging parts. The first time I removed the hub, I ordered a keyed hub from thunder racing so I would not have to mark the hub since they are not machined for a woodruf key. That way it will only go on one way.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Launching!

o crap i removed my balance pulley and the shaft piece that does behind it and didnt mark it???? wut do i do ????
Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just removed the balancer and not the hub, you can still get it back correct. There is an arrow on the front of the balancer between two of the bolt holes. There is also a triangular hump on the hub between two of the bolt holes. You line up the two. It is similar to if you have install an aftermarket pulley. Mine had a hole in the puley that you lined up with the hump on the balancer. Then you line up the arrow on the balancer with the guide hole on the Pulley. My pulley is made by March. I am not sure if all aftermarket pulleys have this alignment hole. If you remove the balancer, I am not sure what you do if you did not mark it. I bought a keyed hub the firest time I ever removed it to eliminate having to mark it and not install it correctly. I believe you might have to get #1 at TDC and possibly have to have the triangular hump on the balancer between two of the bolt holes facing 12 o'clock, but I am not sure on this.

Quick Reply: Removal and installation of LT1 Harmonic Dampner, and crank hub