LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

update on spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default update on spark plug wires

Well, I finally decided to go at it. I didn't remove anything except for the hose on the passenger side. Once I removed the hose, access was a breeze. The only speed bump was routing the wires underneath the alternator to the distributor.

On the driver's side, all the plugs were easy to get to except for #5. I was able to physically removed the wire with my hands. My knuckles and wrists are all scratched up (didn't draw any blood though). It took me about 15 minutes to get that sucker out. And it was the only one that needed replacing. From the boot that connects to the spark plug down to about 2" the plastic coating was gone. It was all cracked and the insulation was eaten through. The fire sleeve on that wire was also cracked. It didn't burn through but it looks and feels like a dried up lake bed. That wire was basically running down the length of the header. That pissed me off. Anyway, with the help of my dad, we routed the wire away from the headers using an unwound metal coat hanger as a guide. It was hell trying to fit the boot back on the plug though. Took damn near 10 minutes with the help of a screwdriver.

Total time on the job: about an hour and a half. Time and money saved if taken to a shop: 3-4 hours (probably half a day at best) and $350.00. I'm on top of the world and it feels good.

Thanks to everyone that posted reponses on my previous thread.