LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Questions

Well I'll try to keep the constructed in some type of order.
I am currently getting ready to assemble a 383 that will consist of:
3.750 Forged Crank
6.0" H beam Rods
Wiesco Forged Heavy Duty Pistons
Lingenfelter Mechanical Roller Camshaft Specs
CS2802_2884R12 LPE Mechanical Roller Camshafts SBC 383-420 236/244 .590/.590 w 1.6 rocker 112 CL
Crane Roller Lifters that use the original Dog Bones
Crane Gold Race Extruded Roller Rockers 1.6
Cloyes True Roller Timing Set
The LT1 Aluminum Heads Ported and Polished with 2.02 1.58 Manley Stainless Valves
The Factory Manifold Port matched.
MSD 6AL
MSD 3 Stage Timing Retard for the Nitrous
MSD Coil
NOS Sportsman Fogger System

Questions I have are
I have not yet purchased the headers. I am leaning towards long tube but do have the car lowered. Are the mid tube headers going to give me that much of a clearence advantage?
I have not yet purchased TunerCat Software
Will I need a LT4 Model with the Mechanical roller, where can I get one and how much are they?
Anybody running something close to this setup with good results?
The reason I have not purchased the headers are I am not sure if TunerCat software will allow me to eliminate things like EGR AIR. I really do not want to run the AIR. So if I can eliminate it successfully I will purchase long tube headers without AIR
Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated
The TransAm is a ^ speed car and I am running Richmond 4.10 gears with a Auburn Posi Pro 18" Weld Wheels Radians 10.5 rear with Nitto 555R 335X30X18"
Old 04-23-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
Well I'll try to keep the constructed in some type of order.
I am currently getting ready to assemble a 383 that will consist of:
3.750 Forged Crank
6.0" H beam Rods
Wiesco Forged Heavy Duty Pistons
Lingenfelter Mechanical Roller Camshaft Specs
CS2802_2884R12 LPE Mechanical Roller Camshafts SBC 383-420 236/244 .590/.590 w 1.6 rocker 112 CL
Crane Roller Lifters that use the original Dog Bones
Crane Gold Race Extruded Roller Rockers 1.6
Cloyes True Roller Timing Set
The LT1 Aluminum Heads Ported and Polished with 2.02 1.58 Manley Stainless Valves
The Factory Manifold Port matched.
MSD 6AL
MSD 3 Stage Timing Retard for the Nitrous
MSD Coil
NOS Sportsman Fogger System

Questions I have are
I have not yet purchased the headers. I am leaning towards long tube but do have the car lowered. Are the mid tube headers going to give me that much of a clearence advantage?
You definitely want long tubes to make good power with a stroker. You might even go for the 1 7/8" ones if you can find some.

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
The reason I have not purchased the headers are I am not sure if TunerCat software will allow me to eliminate things like EGR AIR. I really do not want to run the AIR. So if I can eliminate it successfully I will purchase long tube headers without AIR
You can program all that out with TC, although, that's really not even completely necessary. Plenty of people delete their AIR/EGR/etc without any tuning. If you don't have to pass emissions, definitely get the sans emissions headers.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

if your running the cloyes true roller youll need an elec water pump for it to work but for sure take out the emissions and even though its lowered really the only ones that have clearence issues with lowered cars is SLP and i wouldnt suggest those anyway id suggest hooker super comps or jet hots. on the lifters id suggest using NSA's and guideplates if your not, stronger, other then that i think your good sounds like your building a good engine.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Launching!

83BlackZ Thanks for the heads up on the timing set. It will go back I am leaning towards the heavy duty set from GM Perfromance. I got the roller Lifters last night and they mention guide plates I guess I overlooked those and you mention NSA's please fill me in on what these might be (LOL)
Thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Launching!

93BlackZ this is just a heads up on the cloyes true roller. They now make them with the waterpump gear included just like GM Perfomance Parts. Just seen one listed on ebay.

Quick Reply: LT1 Questions